Bitter Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am making what I want to be, a very sessionable and somewhat fruity bitter inspired ale. I have ordered up a very simple recipe.

%98 Pale Ale Malt
2% Crystal 80
Mash temp = 154
Ferment at 68 degrees
Yeast = WLP023 Burton Ale
25 IBU of columbus at 60 minutes
considerable amount of chinook at flameout
OG = 1.048 FG = 1.012 or so

I am thinking that the finishing hops with the yeast should give me some nice fruity aromas, but I could be barking up the wrong tree here.

Advice?

Don't think you will be happy with that unless you like Chinook.

I find it to be fairly aggressive when used for aroma.
Depends on how fresh your supply is.

Profile:
Aroma: Herbal, Smoky, Piney, Floral Some sources said similar to Cascade.

Sometimes I detect some tropical fruit when the chinook is used late, but for such a subtle beer style maybe I will just go with a little cascade and play it safe.

for a bitter if you are going for "engish style" the fermentation temps should provide the fruitiness moreso than the hops

for a bitter if you are going for "engish style" the fermentation temps should provide the fruitiness moreso than the hops

I was going to use this ale as my testing grounds for WLP023. I have never used it before. It is too late in the year, I am not going to order any more hops until the harvest, so I have to make do with columbus and chinook for the time being. I think columbus will bitter this ale just fine. I have no problem not using finishing hops at all and letting the yeast/malt shine in this one.

Back