Pumpkins in the Mash and Rice Hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
Finally, I think my plan to drink (as opposed to brew) a homebrew that is in season will workout: I'm gonna start up on a pumpkin ale, which should be ready for drinking by mid-October.

The only thing is that I forgot the rice hulls.

Can I expect a stuck sparge if I add the pumpkins to the mash tun without any rice hulls?

Maybe, just depends on your setup, how much grain, what kind of grain, etc. When in doubt, use rice hulls. I brewed my pumpkin last weekend with a lb. and no stuck sparges...others have had problems, even with the rice hulls.

I used 5 lbs of sweet potatoes and 1/2 lb of rice hulls in a brew a few weeks ago (going to bottle tomorrow). I do BIAB and have a very fine bag, and it took me near as long to drain the bag as it would have done to do a sparge. The sweet potatoe clogged up everything, but the wort tasted great.

Finally, I think my plan to drink (as opposed to brew) a homebrew that is in season will workout: I'm gonna start up on a pumpkin ale, which should be ready for drinking by mid-October.

The only thing is that I forgot the rice hulls.

Can I expect a stuck sparge if I add the pumpkins to the mash tun without any rice hulls?

What's your set up? that will largely detemine it.

The setup is a 10 gallon cooler mash tun with a false bottom. I'm gonna have about 10 lbs. grains and plan on about a 10 lbs. pumpkin or other squash-type vegetable.

Latest posts

Back