Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming water volume

Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Bucks-04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Priming water volume

So I did a hef and it has been 11 days ( 2 days with same reading). Im going for CO2 volume of 3. Do i still need to boil it in water and if so how much water do i need to boil. Thanks.

I did 2 3 gal batchs and beersmith recommended 3.48oz of corn sugar.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5739 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks-04 View Post
So I did a hef and it has been 11 days ( 2 days with same reading). Im going for CO2 volume of 3. Do i still need to boil it in water and if so how much water do i need to boil. Thanks.

I did 2 3 gal batchs and beersmith recommended 3.48oz of corn sugar.
3 volumes may cause gushers/bottle bombs. I wouldn't do that. I'd go with 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer.

Anyway, yes, dissolve your priming sugar in some boiling water and boil for a couple of minutes before cooling and using in your bottling bucket. The amount of water doesn't matter at all, but it's easiest to use about 1 cup.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Bring 1 to 2 cups of water to a boil, remove from heat and add the 3.48 oz of sugar. Return to the heat and boil for at least 5 minutes to sanitize. Pour it into the bottling bucket with your beer and stir well. The amount of water won't affect the gravity very much.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
Bring 1 to 2 cups of water to a boil, remove from heat and add the 3.48 oz of sugar. Return to the heat and boil for at least 5 minutes to sanitize. Pour it into the bottling bucket with your beer and stir well. The amount of water won't affect the gravity very much.
30 seconds at 160 F is enough to kill anything we might be concerned with. Not necessary to bring it to a boil to sanitize.

But .... It is best to boil the sugar solution to boil off any entrained oxygen in the water. Tap water has a lot of oxygen in it..

Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Bucks-04
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
3 volumes may cause gushers/bottle bombs. I wouldn't do that. I'd go with 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer.

Anyway, yes, dissolve your priming sugar in some boiling water and boil for a couple of minutes before cooling and using in your bottling bucket. The amount of water doesn't matter at all, but it's easiest to use about 1 cup.
I read on Ed's ( Bee Cave Hef) that a traditional German Hef is 3volumes. But I don't want popping/fizzing going on in my mouth or bottle bombs.

If i went with what you were say 1 ounce per gal i would then do 3oz. Which i think i will do. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
30 seconds at 160 F is enough to kill anything we might be concerned with. Not necessary to bring it to a boil to sanitize.

But .... It is best to boil the sugar solution to boil off any entrained oxygen in the water. Tap water has a lot of oxygen in it..
Very much appreciated!

About to boil now

Old 08-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
shanecb
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I do my hefes at 3-3.5vol every time and have never had any sort of bottle problem, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2764 Times on 2401 Posts
Likes Given: 1963

I like to use 2C of boiled water,or at least 150-160F before mixing in priming sugar. Just stir it in till the water clears again. Put a lid on it & let it cool till needed. Or,as I've found,I put it on a pot holder on my brew stand about 2' away from my 12" turbo fan I normally use for cooling FV's. It'll cool down to pitch temp in about 10 minutes.
I think using 2C of water allows for a thinner mixture that blends in more easily in the bottling bucket.