Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Brass Nipple Size For Mash Tun

Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
delvec28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brass Nipple Size For Mash Tun

I bought a 48 quart Coleman cooler with a drain plug for use as a mash tun. I've been to Home Depot/Lowes/Ace probably 7x so far and I'm still having issues with parts.

First off, I originally bought a 3/8" brass nipple, ball valve and male/female barbs to use with another cooler, but found that this was a bit too small for the Coleman, so I upgraded to 1/2".

However, I bought 3/4" SS washers from Lowe's and after I got home realized they were not large enough to fit over the 1/2" brass nipple. I'm trying to find my dad's Dremel since I don't have one (and as luck would have it, it's nowhere to be found) - I wanted to shave a bit of the inside diameter to fit over the brass nipple, however I'm wondering if it would be fine to use the 3/8" pieces since I have a better chance at finding a 5/8" SS washer at a nearby Fastenal (according to their website, my local store doesn't have 7/8" SS washers in stock for the 1/2" brass nipple).

As you can tell, I'm getting frustrated getting all of these parts, and somewhat angry that such large stores seem to have every size that I don't need and none that I can actually use!!

If anyone has experience using 3/8" equipment with a hole that can fit a 1/2" brass nipple --- or if someone from the South Jersey area has a few 7/8" SS washers, please let me know!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Sciyan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here something that will work perfectly for your 1/2 nipple :

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/stainle...el-washer.html

Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Can you use an aluminum washer? I couldn't find any ss washers so I used aluminum ones as spacers on my 1/2" fittings. I got them at my local Honda dealer, they were drain plug washers of some sort, I think for a differential. They were cheap ( under $1)and they had plenty of them

Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you haven't invested too much money into it at this point, check out Bargain Fittings. and I've only heard good things about them.
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Before my last batch I did a lot of system upgrades and it seemed when I went to Home Depot I should have gone to Menards and vice versa. You would think they would have similar products but nooooooo.