Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the 60 minute over the 90 and 120...it is tasty stuff.

Gotta love all the great IPA/Double IPA/IIPAs on the market if you're a fan of the hops :tank:

Just had to chime in. Went back to the inlaws at christmas (new jersey) and had some 90minute and 60 minute. Now granted I'm used to the west coast IPAs or doubles but the DFH tasted a bit weak on the hops. The inlaws wouldn't even touch em but they're from Scottland and really like malty scottish ales. Fine with me as I drank em but was left a bit wanting for some hops.

To top it off I had to drive around to find a "specialty" store that sold anything but BMC. (They actually LIKE Bud light over there.) Well, there is a Bud factory right down the street.....

I've never had the 60 min but I can't imagine it being better than the 90.
I shouldn't judge without trying first though...man, wish I was a little bit closer to Delaware..

I had to order a case because I had to have it special ordered. It was 30 bucks...it was worth it. Although I can't imagine anyone saying it was lacking in hops though? It has a "round" hoppyness to it. From start to finish you really taste the hops...it's hard to explain.

Dan

Reidman said:
I've never had the 60 min but I can't imagine it being better than the 90.
I shouldn't judge without trying first though...man, wish I was a little bit closer to Delaware..

IMHO the 60 is a bit more to my preference because it doesn't have that syrupy sweetness like the 90 and 120 tend to exhibit.

brewt00l said:
IMHO the 60 is a bit more to my preference because it doesn't have that syrupy sweetness like the 90 and 120 tend to exhibit.
Yeah the 120 is a bit "syrupy".

I liken it to one of those brews you have to try to see what all the hype is about and afterward, you're content never having it again...

I am a huge fan of DFH's style but some of their beers do border on the sweet side.

I will have to try the 60 min someday just to have a comparison with the others.

I just found that after I posted. Thats great news!!! I kinda preffered mine over the original too, but I think it's just a brewer thing too. I'll definately be brewing it again, it's going so quick. I have maybe 1 gallon left and I'm saving it for guests, that way I don't drink it all. :) Mine really cleared after a couple weeks in the keg, but I used a Whirfloc in the boil.

I think you are on the right track about being fresh. I for some reason enjoyed mine while it was "green" and really liked it. As it's aging, the hops are getting more subdued. I find this to be the case with the DFH beers too. I bought a case of 90 to let it age some, and I'm finding I like it much more when it's fresh.

I like the 90 MIN. I want to try the 120 but can not find it any where. I want a case of that, that would make for one drunkin night.

I absolutely love the 60. I wouldn't exactly call it a session beer, but I'm not much of a hop head. I can, however, really appreciate a well crafted beer, and I've been enjoying the hoppier side of beer more and more lately.

I'm thinking a 60 clone or similar IPA is in my homebrewing future.

I'm lucky enough to have a Dogfish Head Alehouse about 8 mins. drive from my house.

I'm also lucky enough to get the coupon value packs every week which just happen to contain $10 off at DFH. I take the family there at least once a week.

They pour a really nice beer there that I think is fantastic and the best of both worlds. They pour a half and half 60 Minute/90 Minute. It doesn't get much better than that!:mug:

Well i just got back form my local beer store and still no 120 IPA in stock. But did pick up some of their Raison D'Etre, the guy i was talking to (Also a homebrewer) said it was pretty good. He is going to try and order some 120 for me, also is going to give me his chimay blue clone that he does. He said its right on the spot. I really wish dogfish head would come down with their prices, 10 bucks for a six pack is kind of high.

I was planning on getting a sixtel of 90min for a party and it was $80 plus deposit. They couldn't get it in at the last minute, so I got Indian Brown and Stoudts Octoberfest (Party was in October). I imagine a keg of 90 would be really dangerous!!

Regarding their prices, there was an add in a local homebrew magazine. It was a letter from Yakima with an empty bottle of 90 next to it. Yakima was pretty much saying that they suggest that Dogfish check their brewery for leaks because they only produced X number of barrels the previous year, but bought enough hops for 4X barrels. It was really a pretty neat ad.

I am just about finished with a sixpack of 60 minute. I really like the stuff. Haven't tried anything else by them yet. I really like the hoppiness of it. It's really a full hoppy flavor without being overpowering or causing a burning taste when you drink it.

I think I'm gonna have to try to make the clone for one of my next batches.

hmm, i thought i was the odd one out when i was about to mention that i liked the 60 minute over the 90 minutes, but alas, i am not. there are more out there!

I found that the 90 minute was indeed much sweeter, and loving bitter like i do, i found the 60 minutes better, however i could see the mixing being a good choice. Havnt tried the 120 but was scared off by the 90 minute. too sweet. and think the 120 is like 20% ABV- thats a sampling beer for me. 301 calories for a 12oz beer!

nikkimac1027 said:
hmm, i thought i was the odd one out when i was about to mention that i liked the 60 minute over the 90 minutes, but alas, i am not. there are more out there!

I found that the 90 minute was indeed much sweeter, and loving bitter like i do, i found the 60 minutes better, however i could see the mixing being a good choice. Havnt tried the 120 but was scared off by the 90 minute. too sweet. and think the 120 is like 20% ABV- thats a sampling beer for me. 301 calories for a 12oz beer!

Ok, I'll take you to task, since nobody else is...I don't know how anybody can say the 60 minute is better than the 90 minute! :D Don't get me wrong, the 60 minute is outstanding, but the 90 minute is mind-altering, IMO. I absolutely love that stuff, and I'm afraid I'll go bankrupt if I don't get over my obsession with it!

I love their Indian Brown Ale almost as much as the 90 minute. I think my next AG will be an Indian Brown Ale clone, in fact. Although, I'm afraid I won't be able to do it the justice Dogfish Head does.

The 60 minute is great stuff. In fact, while collecting bottles, I bought 3 cases (not all at the same time) of the 60. And the labels come off pretty easy to boot.

60 is my favorite "pale" beer. Can't call it my favorite beer as that would offend Sir Arthur Guinness. How about we call it my favorite domestic beer? That's keeps everyone happy.

The 90 is more of treat...not just becuase it's harder to find and more expensive, but the higher alcohol content menas you need to watch out. Damn tasty brew.

I too live close to the Alehouse. And dare I say it...the beer tastes a little better out of the bottle vs. the tap.

Back