Bulk Grain Buy Wholesale Besides CMG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaz4121

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have searched this forum for days for a thread about the cheapest bulk grain buy from a wholesaler other than the Country Malt Group (since they stopped selling to new homebrewers), but couldn't find much (other the the posts and posts of back and forth banter on LHBS vs wholesale prices).

With all do respect, I don't really care to be lectured on wholesale for LHBS, I've read plenty of those posts already. What I am interested in is the cheapest cost for bulk grain since I'm currently paying $65 for a sack of 2-row.

Any help would be appreciated.

I just purchased a 50lb bag of 2-row from F. H. Steinbarts in Portland, OR for 27$!! Apparently a brew club changed base malts and sold them back their reserves which was a few pallets worth. I plan to go buy at least a couple more bags.

I live in Western MA, (about 45 minutes from Boston). I've been looking into group buys in the area, but it doesn't seem like anything is going down soon. I was even considering making the drive to Northern Country Malt in Champlain, NY but that is 5 + hours away from me and the gas would negate any savings (plus I don't know if they allow for pickup).

I'm starting to scale up in brewing quantity (10-15 gallons per batch) and was just looking for a way to lower my cost per beer. I have placed online orders in the past and can't get anything much cheaper that $65. The homebrew shops in the area are about the same, and I haven't had much luck with local micros.

Get to know your local micro brewery owner. You might be able to piggyback on his grain order. I pay between $27 to $31 for Briess 2 row depending on which side of the state I am on. Join a homebrew club and get 10% off any supplies or specialty grains you need. Attend the meetings and have a great time.

look at 50lbsack.com they have free shipping but they are still higher than local i think.

look at 50lbsack.com they have free shipping but they are still higher than local i think.

+1 I haven't ordered from them yet but on their website it also says that if you spend over $100 you save $10 and if you spend over $200 you save $25. I think it ranges from like $65 to $80 per bag but between the free shipping and the savings if you spend enough, it could end up being pretty reasonable.

Try Northern Brewer, 50 lb 2-row $36, although a 50lb sack does get the 7.99 shipping, their shipping rates don't seem too bad and may get total below $65

Latest posts

Back