Second batch... DME in Founders Breakfast Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwaibel

Reaction score
Hello Brewers,

First post, I'm not sure if I should be here or in the beginners forum so apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place. Also wanted to send a big thank you to this forum for a wealth of info that helped with what turned out to be a really delicious first batch of IPA.

So... I'm looking for a second recipe, and I can't get this beer out of my head after seeing the picture. Thing is, I don't think I want to delve into all grain for batch two, so I'd like to convert it to extract. I think it's ok to just multiply that 9lbs of 2-row by .6 and throw in 6.4lbs of DME instead of 1. But I don't have enough experience to know what the effects of different extracts are, so that's where you all come in. There's a recommendation down the thread to substitute LME for the 2-row and I am hoping I can use DME because LME sounds like a pain in the butt and my butt wants to drink beer and be happy while it brews, not burn myself with boiling water trying to rinse out a bottle of sticky goo.

There are really two questions here. First, is there a big flavor difference between light/gold LME and light DME? Second, if not, should I be using something other than Light DME for such a dark beer?

As a follow on, is this beer going to be great with extract or should I wait and brew it when I start brewing with all grains? If I should wait, any recommendations for a second batch?

Thanks!
-Bryn

Back