Kiss ag??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
KISS as in Keep it Simple Stupid, not the band, sorry if I mislead you :)

Okay so it's time to put up or shut up. Next brew I'm kicking off the training wheels and going AG finally. Since I'll have plenty of other stuff to worry about I'd like to stick to a simple, fairly cheap, recipe for my first attempt.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Any recipe that doesn't have a complex grain bill will do fine.

BM's Centennial Blonde is a good choice, Edwort's Pale Ale is another good choice. Honestly, just stay away from wheat, rye or adjunct beers for your first time around.

All Grain really isn't too tricky, just nailing the mash is the really important part. My one HUGE tip for your first batch.

Write everything down. Everyone's system is different, and it's really important to know how your mash tun will react to strike temps. Write down the exact temp of your strike water, your grains, and the resulting mash temp. That way if you miss the mark, you can adjust later. Keep a quart of boiling water nearby, and a few ice cubes. If you miss your mash temp by more than 2-3 degrees, you can adjust.

I'd vote for Edwort's Pale Ale.

I also second writing EVERYTHING down. Don't obsess over it so that you mess something up, but write enough so that the process is repeatable.

Also, relax, you're just making beer. You'll do great.

:mug:

You can always do a smash.

11 lbs marris otter

1 oz. Amarillo 60 min
1 oz. Amarillo 15 min
1 oz. Amarillo 5 min

Dry hop if you want to. Mash around 153. Yumm.

I'd suggest getting a reliable thermometer (If you don't have one already), digital handheld probe type works good for me, that way I can check the others and calibrate with it (After it is calibrated first of course). Also my tun has alot of head space when doing simple medium gravity batches and that messes with the long probe dial thermo, it's easy to just reach in with the digital to check.

As far as a recipe, what do you like to drink? A scottish 80/ is easy.

Maybe I am going too deep with this, but at least try to check the mineral contents of your water and if you can actually brew the beer you are trying to with your water. You can do it with Palmers xls file and a water report. In my first AG I did not check it and got a really bad efficiency, around 55%. Next time I did check it and adjust my grain bill and got past the 75%.
cheers

Well that's 3 votes for the Pale Ale, and I haven't actually done a Pale Ale at all yet, so Edwort's Pale Ale it is!

Thanks for the tips also. I'll try to write everything down as best as I can.

I use bottled Ozarka water for my beers. The water here in southern Kansas is very hard.

Anyone have a link to the recipe?

I vote for SMaSH. It just doesn't get any easier and there are lots of hops that are great on their own. Cascade is the first one that comes to mind.

Back