Shoots Shoots Shoots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops and i've planted my rhizomes about 3 weeks back and now the shoots are emerging. The cascade is kicking but in the So Cal weather and has grown 3-4 shoots. (Funny too because its out performing the Willamette despite the smaller rhizome. I thought it was going to be the other way around. ) I'd like to get some hops this year, should i trim the shoots down to two so that the plant can focus its energy and that way i can possibly get some hops this year? BTW, My make shift trellis is not very tall, about 5 foot. =(

no do not trim. in the 1st year let it go wild so the crown can develop. 5' trellis huh they should eat that for lunch. However when they reach the top they will grow 3-4 ' before sagging and then growing back up themselves

Like was just mentioned, let everything grow. Most of the time, first year hops don't seem to produce 'normal' hops to begin with. After a year or two you're good to go.

The size of the rhizome isn't really a good indicator of how the plant will grow. The 'condition' of the rhizome is more important as to how the plant will respond. The main thing about the size is that theoretically, the bigger rhizome should have more stored energy to get things going.

Also, don't be concerned about the support system. You have time, if you wish, to rig up something a little taller. The first year just make sure to keep them off the ground.

Back