Force carbonating from bottom up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

512chief

Reaction score
I just bought some more kegging equipment from an old timer out of his garage to make a 2 keg system into a 4 keg system. We got to chatting and he brought up the idea of changing the connection on the C02 lines to the liquid out connection and force carbonating the kegs from that side, so the C02 would carbonate the keg from the bottom up by running through the liquid line to the bottom of the keg rather than force carbonating from the top down.. It's an interesting thought and it got me thinking.. But since I haven't heard of someone doing it I thought I'd see what y'all think.. I have 5 gallon ball lock kegs, with a brew logic dual regulator, and a 5 lb C02 tank.

As anyone who accidentally hooked up the lines to the wrong post can attest: once the pressure stabilizes it will push back through your gas line and into the regulator. Bad news.

There isn't really a need to force it from the bottom. Just stick with the tried and true methods in the 'sticky' listed here. Ice never had an issue and have even carbed up an ale in 2 days.

Thanks for the insight! Would it equalize if I swapped the C02 ball lock for the liquid ball lock? And I've only force carbonated twice now, what do you use for pressures? 30psi for a day, test and bump up to 24 for another in necessary?

I actually hooked the ball lock connector to the wrong post my first time force carbing. Haven't done it since but I think it carbed faster from the bottom up. No regulator problems. As long as you have check valves like I do I think it's fine. Although the roll at 30 psi works just as well probably. But bottom-up carbing didn't require any lifting and didn't stirr up as much residual debris.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if the ball lock for the C02 side vs the liquid ball lock have a check valve in them? If I were to connect the liquid Ball lock to the C02 line, and then connected it to the liquid out post, would the C02 go in the keg? Didn't know if because liquid was meant to go out of the liquid ball lock, if it would travel the other way though??

Both connectors will go both ways. The check valve is in the splitter or the regualtor if you have one. But not all regulators have check valves from what I've heard. So you'll want to make sure first or you'll mess up your regulator. I did it once by accident and dont really recommend bottom-up carbing because of my lack of experience as I am still new to kegging. But if you put the Beer line connector on the CO2 line(the connectors only go on the co-insiding post on the keg)it would be connected to the down pipe and bottom-up carb. I have not seen any ill affects from doing this once. I'm not experienced nor is the reward great enough to risk damaging my regulator. They are'nt cheap. As The Infinity Saga said above when the pressure equalizes beer could go in the regulator. If you force carb at 30 and roll lightly with the dip tube on the up side for 15 min It'll carb pretty quick.Then just set to 8-10 and purge keg.

I have heard people saying they have had problems with putting the gas on the beer out post so I wouldn't try it.

I did see at one of the online vendors a new keg lid that had an air in post on it with a dip tube going down to the bottom. I forgot which one it was but that is probably something you are looking for. I don't see why that wouldn't be different from putting the air in post with the beer dip tube. I think the problem that most people had was the air and beer posts are different sizes and the disconnect got stuck.

I always force carb by switching the liquid disconnect onto the Co2 line. I have had great results with it, so I say go for it!

Would you say it's faster to carb or just easier then rolling?

It seems to "bubble" more. I tried it this last time and it didn't seem to want to take as much Co2 while rolling it. Could be just a placebo or a fact. Kinda hard to judge as this beer is an imperial stout and only 30 hours or so old.

It seems to "bubble" more. I tried it this last time and it didn't seem to want to take as much Co2 while rolling it. Could be just a placebo or a fact. Kinda hard to judge as this beer is an imperial stout and only 30 hours or so old.

It bubbled a lot when I did it too. Are you worried about the beer getting in the regulator or is the check valve almost fulproof?

IF the beer can overcome 30 psi of force then I will gladly replace the $70 regulator... as you can tell I am not worried at all

I read about doing this once and have been doing it since. I have a separate 5 lb tank rigged for this purpose, liquid connection on the gas line. My regulator does not have a check valve and I can tell you the liquid will back up in the line if you screw up.....I did it on purpose just to prove to my assistant how pressure works :mug:
You are fine as long as you shut off the gas with a valve on the line after the regulator, not the tank valve, and as quickly as possible remove the line....you may still get some liquid in the line but not the regulator. I suggest cleaning the line afterward. But to avoid that, I simply remove the connection at the tank while the pressure is still on....viola, no problem. Then shut off the gas.
I think it works better, no rolling and I bleed immediately with the premise being the O gets pushed out since CO2 is heavier.
Also, my keg is chilled and my CO2 is chilled....every little bit helps:D

I did see at one of the online vendors a new keg lid that had an air in post on it with a dip tube going down to the bottom. I forgot which one it was but that is probably something you are looking for. I don't see why that wouldn't be different from putting the air in post with the beer dip tube. I think the problem that most people had was the air and beer posts are different sizes and the disconnect got stuck.

I used a cabonation stone a few times from morebeer. You connect it to 1/4" tubing from the gas dip tube and put enough tubing to reach the bottom of the keg. I think it did carb up faster but it is a pain to clean and do up each time so I have not used it in a while.

I have also - almost every time hooked up the gas to the liquid out port and rolled the keg around - this is my method of force carbing. I of course disconnect that set up and put the keg in the keggerator with another gas tank after a few hours of shock and awe.

Back