porter secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I brewed a porter two weeks ago. I did not get out any of the hop pellet gunk because i put in chocolate and i would have taken a lot of that out as well, so all that stuff has been in there for 2 weeks.

Should I pull my beer off the yeast/hops into a secondary so that i don't develop any off flavors (like a grassy taste) from the hops sitting in there?

Only if you plan to let it condition for a long time in there. Otherwise just keg/bottle after 3-4 weeks, and you should be fine.

I left a Porter I brewed sitting in the primary fermenter for one month before bottling. It is my best beer so far. I'm not convinced a secondary is indicated.

NRS

If fermentation is complete, rack if it makes you feel better; otherwise leave it alone.

you can leave it in the primary for 4-8 weeks no problem, depending on the temps. >75 degrees would be a problem, but otherwise, let it be.

Ok ill leave it. just didn't want all the hops in there to make funny flavors but they're probably fine since they were boiled.

Latest posts

Back