IPA Hop Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
I'll be brewing an IPA on Sunday and was wondering how well Chinook and Citra hops go together for aroma/dry-hopping if others have tried it before. Here is my current planned schedule:

1oz Magnum (17%AA) @ 60'
0.5ozChinook/0.5oz Citra @ 15'
0.5oz Chinook/0.5oz Citra @ 5'

1.0oz Chinook/1.0oz Citra @ Dry Hop (7-10 days)

*Both the Chinook and Citra are 12-13% AA.

As far as fermentables/grains I'm doing 8lbs Light LME and 8oz of Crystal 20L. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

I have never paired these hops before, but I bet it will be good. Citra is very citrusy hop that will give you the standard citrus dry hop you would expect in an american IPA, while the chinook will provide some complexity. I have added colombus to my centennial/amarillo/cascade dry hops before and I feel that the combination of heavy citrus + complexity is a great dry hop.

also found this, haven't brewed it, but worth looking at if you want to see others use chinook: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/chinook-ipa-79042/

Latest posts

Back