Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wisconsin problems like Oregon...

Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Wisconsin problems like Oregon...

I started to type this up a few times. I have hunted for as much info as I can find which is very little. I was told that this is already being fought and worked on but I felt compelled to share this info. I am not trying to rattle the sabers or cause more problems but I think the more people that know about this the better. Please keep the discussion civil as threads like these can derail and degenerate very quickly, we are all on the "same team".

Last month in Racine WI. a homebrew club was raided/warned. (I am floored that there was nothing about it here...) I am not a member of this club but I have been told by active AHA members that WI is being HEAVILY looked at in a BAD way. The Dept. of Revenue is also now involved, I am told. I was also asked to not bring HB to club meetings anymore as it is a violation of the law as it is currently being enforced.

Here is the original article copy from the Racine Post: http://news.racinepost.com/2011/04/c...brew-club.html
Quote:
April 3, 2011
City Shuts Down Racine Home Brew Club
We've heard reports over the weekend of a city bust at DP Wigley in Racine. The gist seems to be the Health Department shut down the Belle City Brew Club for drinking home-brewed beer at the store. Apparently state laws says you can only drink home-brewed beer in the home of the person who brewed it.

It seems DP Wigley got in trouble because they were giving away beer in the store, presumably without a liquor license. The Saturday event was a fundraiser for the Racine Urban Garden Network.

More on this as it comes together, including what it means for the local home brew club and for DP Wigley, which sells brewing supplies through its store, Hop To It.
There are some interesting comments as well. This looks like the laws will need to be changed on a state level. Perhaps we can get enough people to get a law on the books that will allow us to sell our brew at farmer's markets an such, like they have in ND.

Is there anything one can do but wait? Traditionally the people who make these laws have no clue what they are doing and it sure would be nice to have laws work in our favor for once...

What are your thoughts?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 845 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Although it would be awesome to change a law that only allows you to drink homebrew in the home it was created in, it seems from this reading that the only reason it was enforced is because there was a store involved. I doubt the authorities will bother trying to determine if homebrew being drunk at a residence was actually produced at that residence; it would be nearly impossible.

I wonder what was the motivation for the raid. Did someone complain? Looking for increased revenue? Crazy drunkedness?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love wisconsin and have lived here most of my life but recently there have been lots of reasons why I might need to move out of this state.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
it seems from this reading that the only reason it was enforced is because there was a store involved.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Anguslow
Recipes 

I think the chance of changing a law to allow the selling of HB at a market is low, and is reaching a little too far. Changing the law to allow free samples to be provided is important since it directly impacts the ability to hold tastings and educational events outside of either a home, or a facility with a license. Why it was the Health Department and not the Revenue Service that handled this is a little strange.

So contact your local representative and raise your concerns with them to see if they are willing to sponsor this change. The HB clubs of WI should coordinate to make sure as many representatives as possible receive the same message.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Ghostly
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Health department would be involved because the store is serving unregulated products for consumption. Their interest is in making sure the store is holding to health regulations for serving food and beverages.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
I love wisconsin and have lived here most of my life but recently there have been lots of reasons why I might need to move out of this state.
Nah don't move, get rich and buy your own politician.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
I know I'm a southerner compared to you, but we've got it pretty great as far as homebrew laws down here in IL.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Think of the bright side. This sucked for us when it was discovered in Oregon but it also gave us a chance to change the laws.

Our Legislator dealt with it as soon as they could. I hear WI might have other things on their plate at the moment though. Maybe after all the recall elections they'll get around to it.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am FULLY aware that getting a law through like the one in ND is indeed a long stretch but the time to try would be when they are writing/rewriting the laws. I would be happy with just being able to have competitions + HB at events all legalized.

This is a cross reference article from the Journal times: http://journaltimes.com/news/local/a...cc4c002e0.html

This is raising a BIG stink for the Racine brewers and can potentially be enforced anywhere in the state at any time. This is NOT just localized to a city.

I am fully aware that the lack of the law enforcement will probably continue through out most of the state, however I do not like doing illegal activities, esspecially when it involves my brewing/beer nor do I condone it. (But that is just me.)