WilliamsWarn Brew System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matts

Reaction score
Just saw this today on Gizmodo. A completely automatic system like this is never something that I would consider getting, especially since you can only do extract brews and it costs $5K!

http://gizmodo.com/#!5791429/williamswarn-personal-brewery-on-the-seventh-day-you-drink

But still, it's quite a beautiful design. If you watch the video, they guy adds the cold water, malt extract and yeast all at the same time. So the wort never boils? How does that work?

Also, the brew is ready in seven days and it even acts as a kegerator! Crazy.

thats to good to be true...I like the concept and it seems like theyve got a ton of wizardry wrapped up in that system, but...7 days...Im skeptical

the pasturize setting takes care of the boil. Im sure then they are using fermentation co2 to also carbonate the beer. kinda a cool setup. waaaaay outa my budget but cool none the less

lame, fake brewing. Its like saying your an artisan baker when you just add water to a box mix.

I agree with Stefano, this is certainly the bread machine version of brewing beer. I wouldn't be able to take much pride in my product and wouldn't really consider myself a brewer if I had this.

But I can see some uber-rich people thinking this was really cool.

It looks pretty much like a really expensive mr. beer. The machine itself looks nice, and I don't see how you couldn't use it with a brew that you mashed and boiled yourself. The supplies are just like mr. beer though..., don't have to boil anything, and probably quite gross after only 7 days of fermentation. Mr. Beer claims 'great' beer after like 2 weeks, and that is because they need the extra week for bottle carbing.

The thing that I would hate is that you have to cool the entire batch with the machine, instead of being able to bottle everything and cool only what you want to test while letting the rest of your batch continue to condition.

It's a really cool system, and I don't see why you couldn't brew all grain and dump the wort into the kettle from your BK, (still give you pressurized fermentation, carbonation, closed loop, temp control, and all that jazz), but for $5k, it's a bit much.

this isnt a bad thing, persay. if there is something that is going to get people into brewing their own beer, i say go for it.

we all know that mr beer is garbage but do you see how many people get a mr beer, enjoy the hobby, and then switch over to good homebrewing?

This system is simply a means to get a rich person into the process of homebrewing. sure, there are some people that will buy this and never look into brewing as an art and only want it for an alcoholic beverage, not a quality beer. but then there are going to be people that buy this, read into brewing beer, and then BAM we have a rich person (well, $5k less rich at least) who is now looking into brewing good beer.

its simply a means for more people to learn about the brewing process.

Don't you love how the actual homebrewer who posts is immediately set upon by snarky ********?
I thought homebrewing was "sticking it to the man" and therefore respectable by the sophomoric gizmodo subset of the populace.

Clearly capturing the wealthy DIY-but-too-busy-to-DIY crowd. Like a previous poster mentioned, just sanitizing and pour your own AG wort in there, hell, even hot AG wort, sealing, and cooling to pitching temp, smart. You can carb up under ferment CO2 or effectively "keg carb" with some priming sugar. A conical with a fridge attached.

Depending on how the heating/cooling is done though, I am skeptical on its long term sanitization with out steam or caustic acids. But for $4500, you could probably put together a complete brew stand, boiling pots, a conical, and a fridge, and still have money left over for a few brews!

Back