IIPA Attenuation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyraxx

Reaction score
So my friends and I are looking to brew a IIPA in the near future, and one of the things I am focusing on is getting it dry enough. IIPAs on the sweeter side (such as Hopslam, one of my favorites) can certainly be done, but I think it takes a large amount of restraint and skill to do properly.

This being my first attempt at a IIPA, I wanted to shoot for something on the dry side - probably 1.010-1.012. Basically I am looking for advice on my recipe from people that have brewed these before on whether or not this FG would be feasible with my malt bill, this is for a 3 gallon batch:

6 lbs Briess Light LME - 82.7%
0.75 lbs Corn Sugar - 10.3%
4 oz Carapils - 3.5%
4 oz Crystal 40 - 3.5%

OG - 1.086 from ProMash

The Carapils is odd considering the sugar, but I wanted something to help boost my head retention, so I'm going for that aspect of it rather than the added body.

So what do you guys think, will I be able to get my beer down to the desired gravity with this recipe?

nope, you're asking for 86% attenuation, which is a ton. you'll probably be around 1.020, maybe 1.017. IIRC, extracts are only 75% fermentable so you'd need a higher percentage of sugar to pull that off, 44% to be exact

Back