Yeasty Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clw2112

Reaction score
I made my first batch a while back and am getting ready to try my second. My first batch overall went well, but it had a weird, some what yeasty after taste. It was an Irish Stout kit that i brewed and i am trying to figure out what i could have possibly done to bring on this after taste so i can avoid it in the future.

When did you bottle it? How long did you let it carb? How long in the fridge?

Hmm...aer you dumping the entire contents of the bottle into your glass? drinking the settled out yeast? You can leave that behind and not drink it ??

rudu81 said:
When did you bottle it? How long did you let it carb? How long in the fridge?

It was in the primary for 2 weeks then a 3rd week in the secondary before I bottled it. It carbonated a week or so in the bottle. I brewed this batch in august and I'm still drinking it and it still has the same after taste.

Could it be from fermenting too long? Or from putting too much of the turb/sludge from the kettle into the fermenter?

When I pour it into a glass I'm careful to not pour the sediment on the bottom of the bottle into the glass.

Yeast should settle. It will settle with enough time at room temp and faster if colder.

I also wonder if you poured the settled yeast into your glass. It's hard to see with a stout. But it's there. To be safe, pour the beer into a glass and leave the last 2 ounces until you get a better feel for it. Eventually you lose very little beer when you get a feel for when you are about to pour yeast.

ayoungrad said:
Yeast should settle. It will settle with enough time at room temp and faster if colder.

I also wonder if you poured the settled yeast into your glass. It's hard to see with a stout. But it's there. To be safe, pour the beer into a glass and leave the last 2 ounces until you get a better feel for it. Eventually you lose very little beer when you get a feel for when you are about to pour yeast.

It's been months and the taste is still there and it's been there for every beer, so I gotta assume it's something I did not sediment/yeast on the bottle.

Has anyone else tried your beer? What do they think?

I have poured all the trub into the fermenter on some batches and the time of fermentation should not affect taste as long as you didn't keep it on the yeast for months.

But yeast flavor is usually caused by yeast.

At what temp did you ferment? Could it be esters and not yeast flavor?

I fermented in my basement which stays pretty cool, just guessing but probably mid 60s.

My brother tried it and said it tasted fine...

Then welcome to the my-own-worst-critic club.

I made a batch that I submitted to a contest. I made it timed so it would be finishing bottle fermentation at judging time so I was tasting it for the first time essentially at the same time they were. I tasted something off in the aftertaste. They mentioned nothing about off-flavors.

I still taste it. And the problem is I drink most of my beer so it's something I still want to address even though other people don't taste it. So I'm on my own.

I guess we both are.

Well I guess we'll see how this ipa turns out, wish me luck.

I've ironed out some issues I had with my keggle and won't be working out of town like the last time so things should go much better.

Then welcome to the my-own-worst-critic club...
I still taste it. And the problem is I drink most of my beer so it's something I still want to address even though other people don't taste it. So I'm on my own...

I'll join the club too.

On the other hand, I am lucky that SWMBO likes the Peace Java Stout (Midwest), cause there's something there that just drives me nuts.

Was the Irish Stout a kit? If so, what kind? Just curious because my first brew was an Irish Stout kit from Brewer's Best and I was getting an aftertaste that no one else picked up at all...was bothering the hell out of me...don't know that I'd call it yeasty, but it was definitely there.

I've had batches come out yeasty from playing with bottle harvested (probably unhealthy) yeast. It fit the same description you are giving. Never faded during bottle conditioning and I still have bottles I'm slowly suffering through.

Which yeast was used? How was it pitched?

Had possibly the same problem with my first batch. Figured out it may have fermented at too low of a temperature. Second batch I controlled the temperature and that "aftertaste" was no longer there. I too contributed it to a yeasty aftertaste. Warmer fermenting temperature definately corrected this problem.

Was the Irish Stout a kit? If so, what kind? Just curious because my first brew was an Irish Stout kit from Brewer's Best and I was getting an aftertaste that no one else picked up at all...was bothering the hell out of me...don't know that I'd call it yeasty, but it was definitely there.

Yep it was a Brewers Best Kit. At first taste the beer tasted amazing, but there was that aftertaste that would always get me. Dont get me wrong its not so bad that i cant drink it, its just there and slightly bothersome.

Yep it was a Brewers Best Kit. At first taste the beer tasted amazing, but there was that aftertaste that would always get me. Dont get me wrong its not so bad that i cant drink it, its just there and slightly bothersome.

That's exactly the way I was describing mine...I finished all the bottles and other people love it, but I tasted something after every sip. I almost thought that it was a tiny bit of oxidation...but now I'm thinking that maybe it had something to do with the kit ingredients.

kbuzz said:
That's exactly the way I was describing mine...I finished all the bottles and other people love it, but I tasted something after every sip. I almost thought that it was a tiny bit of oxidation...but now I'm thinking that maybe it had something to do with the kit ingredients.

Well that makes me feel better. My keggle didn't drain very well into my fermenter and I ended up dumping all kinds of trub in there. So I thought that could be the problem coupled with the fact that I left it in the primary and secondary for a week out so after it was done fermenting. But the more I read it doesn't sound like the trub would be an issue and it sounds like you can leave it in the fermenter forever without any problem. So maybe it's just the kit.

I hope the Brewers Best IPA kit fairs me better!

Back