Tripel Mistake - Should I be worried.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurc51

Reaction score
Hi,

I made a stupid mistake yesterday while brewing Northern Brewer's Tripel. The recipe is below. Basically, I switched the hops around. So when I should have added Summit, I added Saaz. And vice versa. Does anyone think I need to take action or wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 11.5 lbs. Belgian Pilsner malt
-- 0.75 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils

WYEAST #3787 TRAPPIST HIGH GRAVITY.
Optimum temperature: 64-78°F

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
0.5 oz Summit (60 min)
1 lb Clear candi sugar (15 min)
1 oz Saaz (1 min)

It'll still be beer. Obviously, it will taste a little different. If you want the Saaz-y flavor you could maybe dry hop with it?

Honestly, by the time you end up aging this you wouldn't have tasted the saaz that much anyway. You're only real concern is that you bittered with a 5%AA hop instead of a 15% AA hop. I would wait, taste it after some time, if it's too sweet make some hop tea to increase bittering.

After several weeks in the primary and now a week in the secondary, I tried the beer and it's definitely on the sweet side. The gravity is also high 1.020. So, it seems that I have two problems. I've had beers get stuck here before and I don't think there's much I can do about the gravity because I think I didn't convert properly. That said, I'm wondering if dry-hopping will help with the sweetness. Any thoughts on dry-hopping with Summit for 7 days?

Back