1 tap with 1 on stand by?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONATHANKORTZ

Reaction score
I have bottled a few batches and now want to get into kegging. I think I have found a set up that will fit my needs (for now) its a 1 tap tower kit from kegconnection.com but I want to get an extra keg just to keep on hand in case the main keg plays out. Am I able to do this? do I need a duel manifold to keep CO2 on my spare keg or just swap the hoses out when I need to check the pressure or to put pressure on it? Or do I just us some priming sugar in my spare keg? I am not sure how it works. Thanks.

You could just buy a simple "T" for your gas lines and have both kegs hooked up at the same time. That way when you kick one just move the liquid line over and start enjoying the second keg. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...=1193&osCsid=975806028dcc487fdc3c94884f5570bc

If you don't want to do this in the meantime you could absolutely just keg with priming sugar. It will add quite a bit more time before the beer is drinkable because you have 2 weeks at room temp to carb then you would IMHO need a week or two to let it cold crash.

I would be concerned about swapping out the co2 lines between the kegs because I could see if being hard keeping the proper amount of co2 in each keg.

I thought about something like that too but I ended up getting a two-tap tower. I have 5 cornies with another one on the way. This way I will have two in the kegerator ready to drink, two aging, and two ready to have a batch put in.

I have been wondering the same thing. I bought a keggermeister kegerator and it has a single tap on it. So, now I am wondering if I should add another tap on it as well. I am using priming sugar for now. I figure that if I place the other keg in beside the one tapped I can jump over to the other one if the first one goes empty. I am hoping that this works out that way??

The main difference between just splitting the gas line after the regulator with a manifold or having a duel regulator is that with a duel you can keep 2 kegs under different pressure. Thats critical if you brew wheat beers. Every beer I brew can be served on basically the same pressure, so I can get away with just a manifold.

Also consider if you want to carb the kegs with the "set it and forget it" method or if you want to force it in a few days.

Back