My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cokronk

Reaction score
It's been 14 days since my first batch of California Common in the fermentor. I tested the gravity and gave it a taste and everything is on point. I'm going to cold crash it with gelatin next wee after testing for FG and will keg and carbonate.

OG of 1.049 and current SG is 1.013.

Oh, and it tastes good too!

It's day 18. If I take a gravity reading today and it's still at 1.013, can I start cold crashing it for kegging on Monday? Monday will make 21 days. If I start cold crashing it tonight, do I need to use gelatin?

It's day 18. If I take a gravity reading today and it's still at 1.013, can I start cold crashing it for kegging on Monday? Monday will make 21 days. If I start cold crashing it tonight, do I need to use gelatin?

I never use gelatin (some of my friends are vegetarian) but I have crystal clear beer anyway. I don't keg a beer until it's clear- usually in 3 weeks from brewday.

I always lager my steam beers a bit and they are always clear. I just rack to the keg, and then keep it cold- I don't cold crash first if I'm kegging it and the beer is clear.

I never use gelatin (some of my friends are vegetarian) but I have crystal clear beer anyway. I don't keg a beer until it's clear- usually in 3 weeks from brewday.

I always lager my steam beers a bit and they are always clear. I just rack to the keg, and then keep it cold- I don't cold crash first if I'm kegging it and the beer is clear.

What do you mean by lagering your steam beers? Do you move the primary to a fridge and keep it at about 45 or whatever the normal lagering temperature is at? The beer was clear at 14 days, but had hop particles from the pellets out of the kit.

I'm going to force carb it, so it's going to sit in a keg for about 2 weeks before it's ready to be served.

And my friends all eat meat. That's why their my friends. I figure that I should start learning a technique to follow so I can keep consistency. So, is it OK to start chilling the beer in the primary this evening?

What do you mean by lagering your steam beers? Do you move the primary to a fridge and keep it at about 45 or whatever the normal lagering temperature is at? The beer was clear at 14 days, but had hop particles from the pellets out of the kit.

I'm going to force carb it, so it's going to sit in a keg for about 2 weeks before it's ready to be served.

And my friends all eat meat. That's why their my friends. I figure that I should start learning a technique to follow so I can keep consistency. So, is it OK to start chilling the beer in the primary this evening?

I generally rack the steam beer, and keep it cold for about two-three weeks. You can do that in the keg, or in a carboy. If you want to chill the primary, that's fine. I don't do that- I rack the clear beer, THEN chill it in the keg or carboy.

Latest posts

Back