Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wort Chilling in the Snow Took Forever!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
wittmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wort Chilling in the Snow Took Forever!

Guys,

I just brewed Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA clone last night in my brand new 7.5 gallon stainless kettle. I got a late start and finished my boil around 10:30 PM last night. With the temperature dropping close to 0* overnight, I figured it would cool fairly quickly if I put it in my yard, which also has a couple inches of snow on it.

After waiting 3 hours and only seeing the temp drop about 40* I decided to set an alarm for 90 minutes later and went to bed. I did this several times, until the wort was finally down to about 80* some time around 4:30 AM.

I typically chill my kettle in an ice water bath in my utility sink, but the new kettle's too big for that. Chilling has taken me somewhere between 1 and 2 hours every time until now.

So, what's the deal here? Is it that the stainless is a better insulator than the thin walled, enameled canning kettle I've been using? Is it the larger volume (5+ gal. vs. 3.5~)? Is it that air, even at 0* doesn't absorb heat as well as water?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide. I can't afford too many all night brewing sessions like this one!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
downinit
Recipes 

It's the volume. I too noticed how much longer a water bath takes to chill a 4 gallon brew as opposed to a 3 gallon brew. I am planning on buying an immersion chiller soon.

Pale Ale

Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmania View Post
Is it that air, even at 0* doesn't absorb heat as well as water?
Bingo

Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
SickTransitMundus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's also the contact area. Ice water cools faster because there is coolant-metal contact around the entire external area. With snow you get tiny air gaps all over the outside of the kettle, these add up and reduce the cooling rate by a lot.

For final boil volumes larger than 3 gallons, you gotta get an immersion or counterflow chiller.

Edit: What wilserbrewer said. Air is a drastically poorer insulator than water.
Gallons in 2011: 145 and counting.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Snow is a great insulator. That's why igloos work.
When you put the kettle in the snow, it quickly melts the snow a fraction of an inch back away from contacting the pot. After that, the snow is actually helping keep the pot warm. If use snow to cool, put it in a water bath or keep moving the pot/snow to keep it in contact with the pot.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Air has a very low heat transfer capacity. Snow has a fairly high insulation capacity as well. Avalanche survivors survive thanks to a blanket of snow keeping them insulated until they are found.

You will get the best external chill by circulating cold water against the metal brew kettle. You can add salt to ice water to drop the freezing point and achieve a colder bath. The only other method of increasing heat dissipation would be to somehow extend the surface area of the kettle with a metal enclosure that incorporates heat fins that are subjected to circulating cold water.

High metal surface area coupled with circulating cold water is about the most efficient heat transfer available in the kitchen on the cheap. You could always look at employing liquids with lower freezing points and higher thermal transfer capacity such as glycol based solutions but that gets messy and expensive. An active submersible wort chiller (or counterflow) presents the highest degree of thermal transfer efficiency for the dollar.

Lacking a submersible chiller and an appropriately sized sink I would strongly consider using a bathtub to make the cold water bath. This certainly will not be the most efficient in terms of water or ice use but the large surface area will provide a better transfer and a better ability to provide a higher degree of circulation. There is the whole issue of transferring hot wort to a bathtub to contend with.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I tried the chilling in the snow method on my first ever batch... and that was with 2 feet of snow out there... Eventually brought it back in and chilled it in the sink.. never tried the snow theory again... doesn't work...

A few batches later I made an IC.. when I switched to 10G batches, I then hated the IC, so now it's a custom made flat all copper CFC... finally happy...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
It's the volume. I too noticed how much longer a water bath takes to chill a 4 gallon brew as opposed to a 3 gallon brew. I am planning on buying an immersion chiller soon.
Ditto. I did a stove top AG last week and buying an immersion chiller is no longer an option.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used snow once, but had my kettle in a water bath in the sink and dumped snow into the water to cool it. Worked OK, but it melted very fast and had to be replenished often. It was a lot less work buying a bag of ice at the store and using that in the water bath.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's even less work to freeze appropriately sized bags or cups of ice in your home freezer if you can spare the space and can think a day ahead.