Mr.beer fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xon432246

Reaction score
I have been fermenting a batch of West Coast Pale Ale for 2 weeks. When I sample the wort it seems to be carbonated. It doesn't taste like it but it foams. Does this mean that it still needs longer to ferment? BTY, I added 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup brown sugar to the mix. Is this OK?

I get little foaming/bubbles also, but that's not carbonation. The Mr. Beer fermenter is vented, so any CO2 is released by the fermentation process, not allowing carbonation. Think of the foam you get as something similar to shaking or pouring a bottle of tea or OJ or any other non-carbed liquid. It gets agitated, and bubbles form, but go away quickly. I doubt what you have is head though. If it looks funny, tastes funny, smells funny, or has other weird visible characteristics let us know or post a pic.

honestly, the carb'ed feeling could still be active fermentation. When a beer ferments, CO2 is released up through the beer. So, if its still actively fermenting, then you will have CO2 actually in the wort itself, which will feel sort of half way carb'ed in the mouth. Also, when taking a hydro reading, it will actually get a head on the sample, like a carb'ed beer would. But, 2 weeks is a long time to have active fermenataion unless you have a very slow yeast, or very cold ferment temps. It can and does happen.

I agree, I doubt it's carbonated. Unless your fermenter is broke, which would have probaly exploded if it was. Leave it in for another week, the beer will come out clearer. And adding the sugar and syrup is fine.

Latest posts

Back