Tight lids on your bucket fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I was just cruising a website, getting ready for the garden this spring and came across this:

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/9485/364

9485_2160_large.jpg

My first thought was that they'd be great for grain storage. Then I thought... this would be great for that fermenter that takes The Incredible Hulk to get the lid off every time I want to take a hydrometer reading!

Says it fits a standard 12" diameter bucket. As far as I can remember, the lids on my 5 gallon and 6.5 gallon buckets are interchangeable, so this should work on either of them. Just snap the ring on, then the lid screws on and off for easy access.

That's what I was thinking. Just drill it for a stopper and fit an airlock in it. Take the airlock out before removing the lid and you'd be fine.

Unfortunately, you are still going to have to remove the lid completely in order to sanitize the bucket between brewing sessions. The gamma seal fits tightly to the bucket, but there is a space which will get stuff trapped when you empty the bucket to clean out the yeast cake.

That would be just fine with me. The trouble I have is opening the lid gently enough to not disturb my beer. I'd be fine taking it off once it's empty.

Whats the benifits of having a super tight fitting lid? I think ( and have been doing for awhile) that as long as nothing is falling into the beer doesnt matter if it leaks a bit. My airlock doesnt even bubble usually. Beers are all fine and win awards

I have the same thing with my bigger ale pail. Not a single bubble since the CO2 leaks out. But with my other bucket fermenters the lid is very tight. Thing is, it's either on or off. I can't put it on loose. I'd much rather it be looser, but I don't want to just set it on top and leave a gap for the fruit flies to get in and out.

This seems like a good deal for me. Gonna have to try to pick one up and give it a test drive. If anyone else gets one first, post a review.

Back