Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > minor blowoff??

Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
c.n.budz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Default minor blowoff??

So, I started my first batch last night and it's fermenting nicely, lots of activity in the primary. When I got home tonight there was wort in the airlock and a little, maybe a tablespoon, of the foam(krausen?) from the top of the wort coming out of the top of the airlock. Is this normal and do I need a blowoff tube?

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbudz
So, I started my first batch last night and it's fermenting nicely, lots of activity in the primary. When I got home tonight there was wort in the airlock and a little, maybe a tablespoon, of the foam(krausen?) from the top of the wort coming out of the top of the airlock. Is this normal and do I need a blowoff tube?
That's nothing. Don't worry about it. Check it tomorrow. If your carboy looks like someone just took a big foamy sh!t all over it, then you need a blow tube.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
If your carboy looks like someone just took a big foamy sh!t all over it, then you need a blow tube.

No foamy sh!t, maybe just a foamy shart or turtle head

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Okay, the foamy sh!t just happened. I put the hard plastic tube from my racking cane into my spare carboy stopper then the hose from the racking cane into a 1gal bucket of water w/ a little sanitizer in it. I switched the airlock and the blow off tube as quickly as I could, and got a faceful of my brew for the trouble.... Does this sound like a decent setup for a blow off tube?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You really only need the tube shoved in, but ya, sounds like it should do the job.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
gauthierk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Oh man, this brings back memories of mopping my ceiling after a kick arsh brew... I have learned from experience that a blow off tube is an evil that is needed or at least a good saftey device... If your getting Krausen that close to the top, you might want to start considering using a blow off tube for your brews... It's not a bad thing at all, it means you have happy hungry yeast that are beating possible contamination to the sugars...

On a side note, the best beer I ever brewed spackled the ceiling in my kitchen... I have herd this from alot of people...

Enjoy