Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > broken thermometer

Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
onelostrn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default broken thermometer

Took the fall of from brewing to drink up some of my stash. My first brew back a delicous smelling esb. Everthing went great until it came time to chill the wort. Hooked up the immersion chiller and was chilling my wort and all of the sudden i hear the tinkle of little balls hitting the bottom of my pot. UGH!!! I forgot to remove my thermometer floating in my wort. Oh well just wanted to vent. I hate it when a good batch of beer has to go down the drain.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

what? is their mercury in the thermometer or somthing? otherwise get a big daddy thermometer and never worry.or could you have just filtered it?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 16

filtering it doesn't get the mercury out. mercury=trash
3: Hef-wit

Fermenting: English Mild, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barkshack Mead

Old 01-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
McD
Recipes 

I lost a batch a couple weeks ago... same thing. I just ordered thermocouples from Omega. That isn't going to happen again!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
filtering it doesn't get the mercury out. mercury=trash
meant glass. mercury-absurd/deadly

Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
meant glass. mercury-absurd/deadly
ok. filter it and get the glass out. but the mercury is still in there
3: Hef-wit

Fermenting: English Mild, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barkshack Mead

Old 01-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

thought maybe science would come up with maybe a food safe utensil apparantly not in the 21st century.Honestly i dont see how it would be legal but then again its legal to put in cancer causing pesticides/additives/colorings/hormones/gmo thats never been long term tested/.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................ when will it end-- thinning the herd i guess.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
thought maybe science would come up with maybe a food safe utensil apparantly not in the 21st century.Honestly i dont see how it would be legal but then again its legal to put in cancer causing pesticides/additives/colorings/hormones/gmo thats never been long term tested/.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................ when will it end-- thinning the herd i guess.
there i did it.did i say that? did i go there?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
ok. filter it and get the glass out. but the mercury is still in there
I hate to be a pary-pooper but the red liquid in a common brew or laboatory thermometer is not mercury. Murcury is silver color and is difficult to find and expensive. The red liquid is alcohol with a red dye in it. The amount of fluid in the tube is miniscule because it is a capillary tube.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have (had) a silver fluid in your thermometer it was Galinstan, not mercury. Google galinstan. Mercury has not been used in food grade stuff for decades.