Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using bottling bucket as fermenter

Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Using bottling bucket as fermenter

Is it possible to use a bottling bucket as a fermenter? What problems could arise using a bottling bucket as a fermenter with a lid?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

the only immediately problem I see is that you then have no bottling bucket available on bottling day.

It should work fine, but I don't know about using the spigot to drain it. It might suck out a lot of trub from the bottom of the thing when you open it up.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I used mine once for a primary; no issues. As was mentioned in the previous post, I think the biggest potential problem is draining out trub along with the beer. I visited an acquaintance who homebrews, and he had a bunch of batches going- ALL in bottling buckets. He also had made a wooden wedge for each bucket that tilted it back around 10 degrees, which enabled him to drain out nearly all of the beer with no trub

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
He also had made a wooden wedge for each bucket that tilted it back around 10 degrees, which enabled him to drain out nearly all of the beer with no trub
Say that's a good idea. Only thing is that I'd fill up the spigot with a little star san before pouring the wort in. Also, might not be a bad idea to "cap" the spigot end too, so no nasties can crawl up it.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

thats what i use, no problems here
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, it works great. I always wrap the spigot in the aluminum foil from my starter. As far as sucking trub through, I just drain the first bit into a separate container so I get the trub out, then I finish transferring the beer into the keg or another bottling bucket for bottling.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
andysim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedclev
Yeah, it works great. I always wrap the spigot in the aluminum foil from my starter. As far as sucking trub through, I just drain the first bit into a separate container so I get the trub out, then I finish transferring the beer into the keg or another bottling bucket for bottling.
+1 on that

Primary - Air
Secondary - Blood Orange Hefe
Oak Rum Barrel - Sour Saison #2
Bottles: Sour #1
Kegged - Gumball Head Clone, Joco Choco Ringer Brown Ale, 1/4 Nut Notty Brown Ale 1 empty :(

Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thats what I use with no problems

Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
kirkosaurus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I recently started doing this. Much easier to transfer into a keg than trying to siphon.
The trick is to barely open the spigot when draining. It takes awhile to drain it into the keg but with the beer moving slow you don't disturb the trub and none goes into the keg.
Cold crashing before hand also helps.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 512

I have 8 bottling buckets that I use for fermentation - one of the best changes I ever made - never need to siphon. A few considerations though-

*The biggest potential negative is that the spigot has the potential to introduce infection. I always totally take spigots apart for cleaning and sanitizing. I actually assemble the spigot and put it in the bucket while it is all submerged in star-san. Maybe overkill, but that is the price of peace of mind for me.

*When I take the bucket out of star san, I lean it upside down while I am finishing chilling my wort. I close the spigot and put a plastic sandwhich bag over it with a rubber band to keep dust etc. out of it for the 2-3 week ferment.

*When it comes time to drain for kegging or bottling, I spray a bunch of starsan up into the spigot to sanitize it.

*I usually set the bucket up on the counter the night before I want to transfer to keg - lets trub/yeast settle a bit from any movement.

*Sometimes you can get a little leaking around the spigot if the seal is not tight. Has never been a "big" deal for me. If it does leak a bit, it always stops pretty quickly and I just spray the seal area really good with starsan. Sometimes you need to use a gasket on the inside and outside of the bucket to get the best seal.

I almost never have any problem with trub, etc. I only use primary, but I go for 3 weeks, so everything has settled well.

Also, besides no siphoning - it is absolutely a great way to harvest yeast. Just leave a bit of liquid in the bottom, swirl up the bucket a bit and pull a mason jar out of your star san, fill it up half way with beer/yeast and put the sanitized lid on. Put it in the fridge and you are good to go.

Been using bottling buckets for 4 years or so - almost bought some SS conicals. Best decision I ever made to just use bottling buckets instead.