All grain equiv for wheat/barley extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
I just picked up a copy of the Dogfish Head Extreme Brewing book. I can't wait to try some of these recipes (the only reason I bought the book). The fact that ALL the recipes are written in the form of extract directions (not all grain beer calculator style) is PRETTY annoying.

The Belgian wheat beer recipes call for "wheat/barley" malt extract. What is the all grain equivalent for a pound of that?

Thanks.

It depends. Every liquid or dry wheat extract has a percentage of barley extract in there. I don't think any 100% wheat extracts exist for the similar reasons there's no beer that's made from 100% wheat malt.

For some it's as low as 50/50 wheat/barley, some are 75/25. Briess is 65%/35% and pretty standard for American extract brewers, so I'd stick to that ratio as it's pretty safe. So for example if a recipe calls for 10lbs of wheat malt extract, you'd be fine using 6.5 pounds of wheat malt and 3.5 pounds of barley malt, 5lbs of wheat malt extract would be 3.25/1.75, etc.

thanks. 65wheat/35barley.

i plan to adjust the pounds up because i'm going from extract to all grain.

Back