I noticed when switching from Extract to AG that I was getting a lot more space in the carboy taken up by break material, boiled hops and Irish moss;
Though to try and strain it out this last batch and it really did knock down the space taken up, only about 1/2" now in each.
I set the strainer in a big funnel and filled the carboys with my March pump. Filled the strainer about three times with solids.
I know that some swirl and rack from outer edge but I use a keggle/pump and a center pickup for the pump. Swirling just piles it right where the pickup pipe is (lowest part of the kettle bottom)
Obvious solution is obvious I guess.