How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
I brewed a stout on 11/22, OG 1.066, used a yeast starter (~1 liter). 2 weeks later fermentation had stopped, took first reading, had only dropped to 1.028. Tried warming it up, shaking it, 2 days later after no luck I pitched a pack of dry Nottingham yeast. Now a week later it's still bubbling every 2 minutes. So, total of a month in primary, planning to bottle on Wednesday (month & 3 days). Is there a "target" FG before I bottle to prevent bombs? I don't want to keep it in primary much longer than a month, but should I wait until bubbling stops completely?

By the way, I am relaxing and having a homebrew.

You have to check your gravity. This topic comes up in many scenarios but the bottom line is, dont bottle until fermentation is complete. It takes alot longer than a month for autolysis to begin at normal temps. grab a sample and check your gravity. If you pitched the Nottingham and you saw activity it probably did the trick.

The FG depends on what style of beer you want to end up with. I would be concerned with that.

FG will probably be between 1.025 and 1.010. Make sure the gravity readings are identical for three days in a row, to make sure it's really done fermenting.

How long is too long?

*insert off color joke here*

:D

seriously... what are your fermentation temps like? If it's too cold, it can stall out and nothing will restarted it until you warm it back up.

The only way you end up with bombs is if you bottle before the yeast is done. Leave it be until the gravity is the same for 3 days.

I've had a Stout in primary for 9 months. It has only improved.

Alright, I feel better. @Chshre: temps were around 66-68 degrees, I warmed it up to 70 even as high as 75 to try to get it to kick back in. Now it's at 68.

OK not feeling so good anymore. Just took another gravity reading, and it's almost identical to before I pitched the yeast. We're looking at about 1.026. I'm putting it in a warmer place (should get up to about 75) to see if that kicks anything in, if not I'm going to go ahead and bottle it. Suggestions?

Back