Cheers everyone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osully

Reaction score
I thought I would hold off my intro until I finished a batch. I just spent the day brewing up a solstice cervesa crema clone AG. I have it fermenting as I type. I am worried though that I did not get the wort cool enough. I hope I have some super yeast and a lot of luck. I hear all these issues with esterification and DMS. I thought that I should pitch at about 95 rather than let it sit for what could have been another hour. I didn't get a wort chiller and thought the 20 deg here in MI would be enough. Any way, excited to be part of the forum and I have a solid 8 mos to brew as much as I can before medical school!

:mug:

Well you seem like a well established brewer. Your knowledge could be used for sure. Anyway welcome to the site.

Thanks! BTW it looks like it is fermenting fine. I read everywhere and asked by biochem teacher about yeast activity if they are shocked above 100 deg. I may have killed some but not all!

95 is not too hot for yeast to survive, but honestly they don't ferment the best beer that warm (well, unless you are making a Saison or something...)

I would pitch closer to 65 if possible, even if it means waiting an extra hour or two. Once the wort is below 140, the most important part of chilling is complete. The rest is just getting it to a temp the yeast will be best at. And that hour or two is not likely going to make any difference as far as bacteria go if you practiced sanitary brewing.

That said, pitching at 95 is fine if you get the wort down to 65-70 pretty quickly. The most important time for preventing off-flavors during fermentation is the "active" stage, which is after the yeast have consumed the O2 and got their reproduction up to speed and have started consuming the sugars. It lasts until the yeast have fermented almost all of the sugars they can. This can all happen in a couple of days if the temp is warmer.

Temperature affects the way the yeast metabolize the sugars to a noticeable degree. It took me many batches, even after reading a lot about brewing before I determined that after sanitation, fermentation temperature is the most critical part of the brewing process. (In My Opinion).

In the end, though, you will be fine. Tweaking the process is what HB is all about! That and RDWHAHB!

Thanks again. I agree with the temperature. At least when I changed the temp from around 65-->69 I noticed a faster rate of bubbling (fermentation?) I am kind of in a bind and have to bottle it Christmas night I am pretty sure I will be in ok shape as far as finished fermentation goes. I am getting my 1 pump single tier 2 keggle system together right now and will do a couple batches after the new year.

Back