Jacking Kilju

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopjacking

Reaction score
Has anyone ever jacked kilju? I searched for a post but found none. I'm trying champagne yeast and turbo yeast to see what works/ taste best.

I'm not sure what kilju is, but I know what jacking is. First of all jacking(freeze distilling) is illegal in the US. This being said, some people still do it. Not sure how it would turn out?

well....technically jacking is a form of distillation. Also called "fractional freezing" its hardly a big deal because all you are doing is removing a fraction of the water in your fermented beverage by freezing it (essentially the same process that icehouse uses) , but technically it is against US laws, which in my opinion are a little absurd. I have done some jacking in the past, but never was happy with the results, maybe if you filtered the product first? As I understand it charcoal filtering is pretty much a necessity with kilju...

My understanding is, concentration, meaning the removal of mass, except alcohol, is NOT illegal. The extraction of alcohol is what is illegal. Since you are only removing the frozen water, technically you are not distilling, and ATF officials have deemed it ok to freeze beer for concentration.

Back