Standard Kegerator into Homebrew Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilsBeard74

Reaction score
I just got a used kegerator that is made for commercial kegs. I am in the process of buying what I need to convert it so I can fit two corny kegs into it, I will probably just keep the single tap for now. Has anybody done this and could give me any advice, stories, or anything about this process? Thanks.

I have a kenmore kegger that I bought 8-9 years ago. Conversion was a snap. Replace the lines going to the tap with 10' of 3/16 ID tubing. Cut off the nut assembly for the gas (reuse that tubing) and install barbed gas and liquid ball lock connectors (unless your kegs are pin lock...). Done. I eventually bought a double tower off ebay. Very simple to do. It's the one on the right.

Kegerators.jpg

If you think you might want to occasionally put a commercial keg back in there I would skip the barbed fittings and go MFL. A few places have a "kit" to convert like this one: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BALL_LOCK_KEGERATOR_HOMEBREW_C_P1701C118.cfm or you can piece it together yourself (what I did). The two MFL tailpieces go on to the old commercial tap so you can swap it in with a few twists of a wrench.

+1 to MFL fittings. They make things much easier to clean, and occasionally swap around. I also recommend using 3/16" beer line for your gas too. This way any line can be for either gas or for beer. Someday you will re-arrange your parts and wind up cutting lines off of barbs. With MFL you just remove them and use them somewhere else.

I have a 1/2bbl kegerator I bought on CL last year. I removed the original shank and faucet because I wanted stainless shanks and Perlik faucets. That part is up to you. I bought 2 stainless tower shanks from MicroMatic on eBay (I think). then removed the tower from the kegerator, and measured how far down the center of the shank hole was from the top of the tower. I made a mark 90 degrees from the existing shank hole, and the same distance down from the top. Hit that with a center punch to keep the drill bit from skating across the convex surface of the tower, and made a 1/4" pilot hole. I hogged out the rest with a step bit, and finished it out with a file (Because my step bit was about 1/32 too small).
My tower was held to the kegerator by 4 screws 90 degrees apart. However, the tower already had 8 holes in it's flange! That meant I could rotate the tower 45 degrees, and use existing holes in the tower base flange and the original screws, into the original holes in the top of the kegerator. This left the 2 faucets symmetrical to the front of the kegerator, and still over the stock drip tray.
Then I just installed the new hoses on the shanks, and the shanks in the tower, and the faucets on the shanks.

There's actually room in the tower to install a 3rd shank between, and a little below the 2 existing ones. Then I could tap all 3 kegs the thing will hold. I just haven't had a need for that yet. For my Broo-foo is weak lately :drunk:

I'll go take a pic...
DSC_4295.JPG

Back