Coffee malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tread82

Reaction score
Does anyone use any form of coffee malt in beer to empart a coffee aroma/flavor to dark beers? It seems like people are always trying to get that quality into their dark beers without the grossness that boiled coffee offers. I have never tried this stuff before, but rebel brewer has it from Franco Belges and Simpsons makes a coffee malt from barley and wheat with highly differing toast levels.

I know steeped coffee at flameout is pretty good, and vodka soaked beans or grounds can work, I'm just trying to get a grip on as many methods as I can so I can find which is best for me.

I have used coffee malt, but enjoy the flavor/aroma of cracked coffee beans in secondary more. Cold steeping the coffee for a day and add that at bottling is another method.

how was the coffee malt in comparison to the real coffee? Did it have a legitimate coffee quality to it? I'm looking for a pretty subtle coffee undertone in my breakfast stout.

I bought a couple pounds earlier this year and loved it. But it didn't remind me of coffee at all. At 8% in a brown ale with an 1.040 O.G. it had a very nice nutty quality. If you change the gravity and/or percent I'm sure the profile will change slightly.

Back