Opinions of this recipe, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHerc

Reaction score
For the people that might know, how do you think this simple recipe might turn out?

6 gal. finished product.

10 lb 2-row
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb roasted barley

1 oz Cascade 7.4% at 60
1 oz Centennial 9.2% at 60
1 oz Cascade 7.4% at 15

The grain bill looks like a bad stout recipe.

The hop schedule looks like a bad IPA.

Two wrongs might make a right. I'm only 3 batches into All Grain, so my opinion is basically worthless.

There's nothing wrong with this recipe. Looks like a good American stout. You might think about adding 8 oz flaked barley for body and 8 oz of chocolate for complexity to the roast. I'd think about adding a little more 2 row to make it a bigger beer.

The hops look okay. Having a firm bitterness is really important for the style. Think somewhere in the 60's for IBU's.

For the people that might know, how do you think this simple recipe might turn out?

6 gal. finished product.

10 lb 2-row
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb roasted barley

1 oz Cascade 7.4% at 60
1 oz Centennial 9.2% at 60
1 oz Cascade 7.4% at 15

Is there a specific style you're going for? for my tastes, it doesn't seem like there's any consistency in the grain bill/hop schedule.

If you give some indication of a style/specific beer you're looking to replicate, giving guidance might be a bit easier. :mug:

The wort was fairly dark. Not, black like a stout. OG was 1.066. I wasn't really aiming for a specific style. I had a weird idea of throwing something together to see what came of it. It actually doesn't smell too bad in the fermenter. I sure hope it turns out ok.

Back