Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > iodophor flavor in homebrew?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
zodiak3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default iodophor flavor in homebrew?

ive researched and have seen that its pretty tough to detect iodophor in your homebrew, even when using large amounts of it. i do have this off-flavor in my latest batch though. what could it be? i have some thoughts, but just wondering if anyone has an answer from trial and error.

-iodophor, i dont think i used enough for this to be the problem but this is what it tastes like

-stale hops, stored in freezer and used within a week of purchase

-oxidation, fermenter wasnt touched but i forgot to purge the keg for about 6 hours after kegging

any ideas?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
ive researched and have seen that its pretty tough to detect iodophor in your homebrew, even when using large amounts of it. i do have this off-flavor in my latest batch though. what could it be? i have some thoughts, but just wondering if anyone has an answer from trial and error.

-iodophor, i dont think i used enough for this to be the problem but this is what it tastes like

-stale hops, stored in freezer and used within a week of purchase

-oxidation, fermenter wasnt touched but i forgot to purge the keg for about 6 hours after kegging

any ideas?
Some people are very taste sensitive to iodine/iodophor. I am one of that group, and perhaps you are also. No fear, it won't hurt you. Just drink up the beer, then see if starsan works for you.
Hops: nope.
oxydation: nope. Doesn't taste like iodine.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Some people are very taste sensitive to iodine/iodophor. I am one of that group, and perhaps you are also. No fear, it won't hurt you. Just drink up the beer, then see if starsan works for you.
Hops: nope.
oxydation: nope. Doesn't taste like iodine.
im def gonna try starsan on this next batch and see if there is a change...

Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5778 Times on 4136 Posts
Likes Given: 1452

I can smell iodine/Iodophor a mile away, and I can taste it if the dilution is a bit more than the amount recommended on the package. I can't if the recommended dosage is used- or at least I couldn't in the past.

But one time I took a sip of homebrew and went, "Whoa! You use Iodophor, huh?" to the brewer. He said that he did. I asked if you used the recommended amount, and he said "sort of. I just mix it until it's bright urine color.". Well, apparently "bright urine color" brings it above the taste threshold, and I've been sensitive to the taste of iodophor ever since!

I love Iodophor, but I rarely use it because of the smell. I keep it on hand, though, just in case I run out of star-san or ever want to use something different on equipment.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
I can smell iodine/Iodophor a mile away, and I can taste it if the dilution is a bit more than the amount recommended on the package. I can't if the recommended dosage is used- or at least I couldn't in the past.

But one time I took a sip of homebrew and went, "Whoa! You use Iodophor, huh?" to the brewer. He said that he did. I asked if you used the recommended amount, and he said "sort of. I just mix it until it's bright urine color.". Well, apparently "bright urine color" brings it above the taste threshold, and I've been sensitive to the taste of iodophor ever since!

I love Iodophor, but I rarely use it because of the smell. I keep it on hand, though, just in case I run out of star-san or ever want to use something different on equipment.
yep, you've just completely convinced me to use starsan for my next batch(s)

Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5778 Times on 4136 Posts
Likes Given: 1452

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
yep, you've just completely convinced me to use starsan for my next batch(s)
I hope not because I mentioned "bright urine color"!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans