Hi Guy's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
New guy here.

So I've embarked on my first foray into the world of cider:ban:

Not being afraid to experiment I started my first batch last sunday.

6 gal of cider right from the press
brought 4 gallons up to 125 degrees to disolve 6lbs of dark brown sugar.
added this and the remaining 2 gallons to a 6.5 carboy.
Started 2 packs of 1118 in 2 cups of water with 1.5tsp of cane sugar and added it.

It's bubbling every second and smells WONDERFUL!!

Next my plan is to boil some light oak chips in bourbon and let them steep for a few days then dry them.

The chips are going in a second carboy when the primary almost slows to a stop I'll rack it and top it off with some fresh cider, air lock it and ignore it for a month or two. then it gets bottled and forgotten about for a year.

Wish me luck:tank:

I noticed on the blackboard at the mill they listed 3 types in the blend but didn't really make a note of it.

In the mean time I put 2oz of light toast oak chips and a small bottle of Wild Turkey American Honey in a small sauce pan and simmered it until it reduced to not quite enough to cover the chips. This is sitting in a canning jar waiting for the primary to finish. Smells great and has the consistency of maple syrup.

Back