Home Brew Gone Wrong!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have brewed. I recently moved to Lansing, MI and have been to busy but I finally found some time and was excited to use my new copper wort chiller! Everything was going great.....I had the brew pot set in the back entry way with the wort chiller run out the back door connected to the hole. Temperature was dropping.....so...to help kill the time I ran upstairs to clean some of the brew supplies....When I came downstairs there was about an inch of standing water in the back entry way and bathroom. The hole popped off the wort chiller and was filling my house. Pool in the house.....wort ruined!

I had that happen once and got a near boiling water shower. It's almost better to not be around to witness the event as it is safer. The hose clamped IC's have that problem if the clamps aren't tight enough. You need to check them before every brew or sweat on some garden hose fittings (recommended!!!).

Stirring your wort while running the chiller will get it cooled down faster. Helps with those of us with short attention spans and it keeps you there in case something goes wrong!

Wow never really thought about this but I will surely check the clamps before use next time.

When I first tried to test my wort chiller (just last night), the exit tube I had running into the sink shot out of the sink like a snake. I turned the water pressure on too high at first instead of slowing ramping it up.

Water all over the place.

I tighten the hose clamps on the inlet to my IC right before turning on the supply water. It seems something about the metal or plastic expanding when it gets hot makes it keep loosening. You'd think it couldn't get any tighter, but it keeps taking it.

If this happens, can you possibly just boil your wort a little longer (or again) to kill off anything that may be introduced and then start the cooling process over? I've never had it happen, but I would be PISSED if I had to waste a batch simply because water was introduced that shouldn't have been.

So some tap water went into it? If that happened to me I'd check the gravity. If it wasn't too bad I might just stick that sucker in the fermenter. If it was really bad, I might boil it down and throw some more hops in.

This was also the first time I was brewing since I moved in with SWMBO. House smells since it was a double IPA and backroom is flooded. I'm lucky I didn't get grounded...lol

Back