Opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, I am trying to crawl before I walk.
Playing with a brew calculator , I come came up with this. I am sure it is extremely simple, but just wanted a little feedback.

For a sessionable, cookout homebrew that my BMC friends might like beer:

5 lbs X lite DME
1 lb Amber DME
2.5 gal boil
5 gal batch
.5 Saaz pellet 60 min
1 oz Saaz pellet 10 min

OG 1.041
FG 1.010
ABV 4.0

SRM 5
IBU 13

This look worth a try to anyone, or do I need to keep reading? If so, I alrady plan to brew 2 batches of something else this weekend, but as simple as this one is, may go for 3 !

maybe put some POP in there with some crystal or honey malt?

That recipe seems too plain for me. Then again I don't like simple beers.

That recipe seems too plain for me. Then again I don't like simple beers.

Odd as it may sound, that is my goal - super light, super low ABV, nothing to "hot hoppy" - kinda an icebreaker but home brew alternative to drinking Mller light all night at a bull session. LOL

To each his own. If you're aiming for Miller, you got it. If anything it's cheap simple and quick. I'll give you props :)

you might also consider Fuggle for "not hoppy"

I think I am going to do it. I have some brews in the pipline that will be ready by the time I plan to have a winter cookout, so I can have some samplings for folks - but I think I'm just gonna make a batch of this hot mess as the "table beer".

I freely admit I am learning . I only picked the Saaz based on a thread I read elsewhere , if my memory is correct, saying it was the hop in Peroni - which I happen to like. I have ordered some, but can pick up some fuggle local by the weekend if you think it would be the better of two evils.

( Man, I never thought I would purposely by trying to brew a weak watery beer.... too funny )

Personally, I love Saaz :ban:

you made me giggle tonight with the use of Watery and Beer in the same sentence.

I think the Saaz would be appropriate for what you are trying to create - Saaz is also used in Pilsner Urquell and many other lagers. I recently brewed a simple batch as well - a kind of blonde ale/lager hybrid (the recipe of which I will be posting soon) and Saaz were perfect for it.

I think a little Crystal 40 couldn't hurt though.

I think maybe adding just some small amounts of steeping grains would make it much more flavorful without making it too "dark or craft" for your friends and a cookout beer. Just extract tastes almost like nothing to me.

Your recipe lacks yeast (unless mere wort is your goal).

Sorry so snotty, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

Latest posts

Back