wrong move?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbandit

Reaction score
I had a Oktoberfest that was done with fermentation. Wanting to start another batch I racked to a secoundary, which I never have done. I didn't really plan on doing it but I needed my primary fermentation bucket ASAP! I accidentally racked to the bucket I use to bottle with, it has a spigot near the bottom. Do I have to rack to another bucket, clean & sanitatize my bottling bucket & then rack the brew back again so I can bottle??? Any ideas or suggestions for this rookie brewer?

As long as the bucket you racked to was properly cleaned and sanitized, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you get some more sediment settling out in your secondary, you may have to bottle more carefully because of that, but no, you don't *have* to move it again in order to bottle it.

Worried about the spigot getting cloggged?

People may jump on me for this, but sometimes I bottle straight from primary.

Im just careful to move it to the spot I plan to bottle from 48 hours before, and are ever ever so gentle adding the racking cain to it so I dont stir up any of the cake.

Bulk priming? pretty rough, I wouldnt even try in primary, so if you dont have carb drops you can just get a funnel and add a level teaspoon of suger per half leter.

Yah for consistancy bottle to bottle ;)

I had a Oktoberfest that was done with fermentation. Wanting to start another batch I racked to a secoundary, which I never have done. I didn't really plan on doing it but I needed my primary fermentation bucket ASAP! I accidentally racked to the bucket I use to bottle with, it has a spigot near the bottom. Do I have to rack to another bucket, clean & sanitatize my bottling bucket & then rack the brew back again so I can bottle??? Any ideas or suggestions for this rookie brewer?

Just buy a bucket from lowe's and a new spigot. Drill the bucket and insert the spigot and there you have a brand new dedicated bottling bucket. That's what I did and now I have an extra fermenter in my ale pail that has a spigot on it.

FWIW, I would not bottle from the bucket that you have your beer in right now, because you're going to stir up all that crap that you've been letting settle for the past however long. No one wants a cloudy oktoberfest!

I will agree that if the bucket is properly sanitized, and you give it a few hours to settle down once you move it to your bottling location, you will be just fine. maybe you will have a little extra "goodness" in your bottles, but if you are careful while filling, even that should be minimal.
FWIW, I too go from primary to bottling the majority of the time. if no fruit or dry hopping is involved, I am perfectly happy happy with the slightly cloudy result. a few weeks in the fridge clears that up too most of the time

Back