very low hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff_gordon24

Reaction score
hello everyone this is my first thread . my problem is im in the begining of my first batch and my reading is at 1.000. ok it is a well known brand in a can with its own yeast ,i am using corn sugar according to what the store said it is 2.64 lbs- 1 cup .my beer is very volitaile it bubbles alot (sounds like im boiling water )through the airlock .my fg reading was also low at 1.030 . the beer is fizzy and has a good taste im at my 3 rd day oif first fermentation it is a 23lt batch and a draught beer
thanks for any ideas jeff

1.nil is rather low for a finished beer.
Does your hydrometer read 1.000 in clear 60 degree (F) water? If not it's broken.

If you are using ale yeast it is rare to have such high attenuation, but possible with only a 30 starting gravity.

The beer will be light but guess what... You can drink it!
Cheers!

I'm a bit confused, FG is final gravity and it sounds like you original gravity was 1.000?? Starting gravities of 1.030-1.035 are normal for beer-in-a-can and regardless of what you measured, all of the extract & sugar are in the fermenter.

Sounds like you have a good ferment going, but LEAVE IT ALONE! I know it is difficult, but let the yeast work in peace.

sorry what i meant to say was the first reading after mixing but before yeast was 1.030-1.035 and that now 3 days later is at 1.000
so should i leave it alone or transfer it
also is it better to stir the wort before taking samples
thanks again jeff

Are you correcting for temperature? Hydrometers are usually calibrated at 60 degrees F. Measuring at a warmer temperature will require you to add a few points.

It's best to stir the wort VERY thoroughly before taking the OG reading (initial reading just after creating the wort). After fermentation has begun, DO NOT stir the wort before sampling it for a reading. Mostly just leave it alone. 3 days is way too early to take another sample. Let it go for at least a week.

RDWHAHB!

Back