Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Beer for my own wedding... suggestions?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
jar234psu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Beer for my own wedding... suggestions?

Hi everyone,

The little lady and i just got engaged, and she has asked if I would brew the beer for our reception. I of course was more than happy to oblige, because it means i get to crank out a bunch of pilot batches . Oh, and our guests can have a unique experience at our wedding that they'll never be able to get anywhere else ... that too.

Basically I have 1 year to try recipes and pilot a few with our friends, to try and get a sense of what will have both (relatively) universal appeal, and be a drinkable product that our guests can enjoy in whatever quantity they deem fit.

I am currently thinking of brewing 5 batches of 10 gallons each, which would mean that I'd have to find 5 distinct offerings that don't really overlap, and will be well received by a (more or less) lay audience. I know what *I * like (Double IPAs, barleywines), but I can own up to the fact that few others will share my affinity for the finer things in life!

What sorts of suggestions could you offer for 5 unique, yet universally appealing styles?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

First if you are having a reception you need to check with the building. Some places might not let you bring in your own beer but it is a great idea and I am doing it for my wedding which is in two weeks. It was a pain to get the reception hall to allow me but they budged.

I brewed and will serve a Magic Hat Clone, IPA, and my first batch of Barleywine.

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
jar234psu
Recipes 

Yeah, that's a good point - we are having a fairly informal reception so I don't think it will be an issue.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Bret86944
Recipes 

Don't do it!!! Save yourself while you still can!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
jar234psu
Recipes 

I'd like at least one hop-forward beer.... so far I'm thinking:

1) Single IPA
2) Czech-style pils
3) Hefe or Belgian Wit
4) ESB
5) ???

EDITS: i just noticed that a few other threads focusing on this very question have been posted in the past! Some awesome suggestions... i never even thought about an Apfelwein. I might just have to do 10 batches of 5 gallons each!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

make a small batch of mead for the wedding party and when you give your speech you can bring it out and explain that the reason it is called a honeymoon is because you used to drink a fermented honey beverage (mead) for a month after getting married. i plan on doing this and starting the mead the day i get engaged.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
jar234psu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
make a small batch of mead for the wedding party and when you give your speech you can bring it out and explain that the reason it is called a honeymoon is because you used to drink a fermented honey beverage (mead) for a month after getting married. i plan on doing this and starting the mead the day i get engaged.
oh man, that is an awesome idea.... well done sir.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
copper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Or throw a cider in there.

Primary: Hefewiezen II
Primary:
Bottled: Viginti Irish Red, Deception Cream Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Deception Cream Stout, Apfelwein

Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
jar234psu
Recipes 

Yeah, i definitely like that idea. My soon-to-be better half is a huge fan of Magners, so i might try to develop something like a dry-ish cider for her. I got a few suggestions from other brew friends by email, and i decided to go with the 5 gallon batches, and increase the number of offerings. We've got about 150+ people coming to this thing, so 50 gallons might me about right i think? Something like:

1) Single IPA
2) Mango Pale ale
3) ESB
4) Porter/Stout - chocolate/cherry porter
5) Czech style pils
6) Apfvelwein
7) Hefe or Belgian Dubbel
8) American blonde - strawberry blonde (?)
9) amber ale/nut brown/fat tire clone
10) Magic hat #9 clone

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
erkwist
Recipes 

Made 5 5gal batches of mead for my wedding, and we ended up at a place that wouldn't let me bring it. If you do the mead, bottle just enough so you can have some on your 1 year anniversary, it will be much better than the year old cake if you do that one.