Here's the setup I used
After the first 12 hours, it was smelling pretty bad. The smell went straight through both coolers. But after, it gradually went away.
After 3 days at +/- 100*F, now was the time.
I was anticipating the worse... Baby puke smell with a thick layer of thriving hair-like spores, maybe also some facehugger eggs. I gathered my courage and opened the lid... nothing. Not looking gross at all, just a faint rotten corn aroma and a cloudy yellow liquid.
I got closer and took a longer smell at it... ok, up close it definitively smelled bad. But still, it wasn't as bad as the first day or as what I would have expected.
I strained it to remove the grains and boiled it for 20 minutes. Then I cooled it down to 74*F in order to incorporate it in my saison which has been fermenting since 3 days also.
When cooling, something milky and which seems heavier than the rest of the liquid came together...
Swirling the pot around to cool it down faster set it in suspension again.
Took a sip of it, and it tasted real fine. No off or unpleasing flavors of any kind.
I would describe it as tangy, a bit sour (I honestly thought it would be sourer than it was), and somewhat milky.
I decided to go for it. It did not taste bad at the moment, so I doubt it will ruin my saison.
I therefore poured it all in both my fermenters 50/50. The ammount I added is around 7% of the total volume in the fermenters.
I am just wondering if this quantity is significant enough so that I can actually taste it in the end product and if the sourness will come through at all.
I'll tell in a couple of weeks.