Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good Brew Day! I think I might be getting this...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Good Brew Day! I think I might be getting this...

So a few weeks ago, I did my first AG batch of beer. It was an amber ale, and I ended up making some mistakes in the process and my efficiency was only 60%. I was discouraged for a bit, but then realized two things I did wrong:
1) I did not stir the grain very much, and I think I ended up having hot/cold spots. This time, I stirred the hell out of it.
2) When I sparged, I kind of slowly trickled the water out of a tube as the water ran out....I guess this is sort of a psuedo fly sparging but I didn't have good luck with it. This time I let all of my initial mash run out and then added the sparge water.

Well it worked, because my efficiency was 77%! Much much better. Due to some screwiness with how I bought the grain (I had somehow scaled my recipe down) I ended up adding DME, but at least I know my mash process is working

I also was making my first truly big beer (1.093 OG) and so I was concerned about fermentation. I added 3 packs of US-05 on the recommendation of LHBS and let the aeration pump go for an hour or two. This morning is is churning away! I was actually seeing it swirling around in there and my 6' blowoff tube is half full. It's flying!

To celebrate, I designed a label for the latest beer I bottled. I borrowed a bit (a lot?) stylistically from BrewDog, but I thought it came out good:

So all in all, not much meat here I guess, but I want to nerd out about my good day and my coworkers are tired of hearing me talk about beer!

Jason Harris, Beer Dork Extraordinaire and wannabe blogger
Homebrew noob, moving right along
In The Pipeline: Amber Lance
On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good job. For future reference 2 packs of 05 would have been plenty. Of course a lhbs would recommend 3.