Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Rogue Shakespeare Stout

Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #21
CastleBlack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brewing tomorrow

About to brew the rebrew posted above. Using US-05 and praying for not much of a dry finish. Shall post results. Thanks for all the info in this thread, Eric, you rule.-

PS: does anyone have any clone recipes for Founders CBS or KBS?

Thanks and happy brewing.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
raptorvan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i might be a little late to the party but the place i work at sells Rogue brewing kits AND pacman yeast.
its called adventures in homebrewing in michigan. they have a full service webstore. i wont post the link because i dont know what the rules are about that.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #23
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info on the pacman. I am definitely getting it as soon as they get it in stock. However, for the time being I went with S-04. I was afraid US-05 would dry it up too much. Plus its an (American) Stout, so S-04 wont hurt it too much.

I was shouting for a 153 mash, ended up mashing at 152, close but not cigar.

I am going to rack the Shakespeare Clone in about 7-10 days and ferment my Founders BS Clone on that cake. The FBS is a massive beer and I will be needing a lot of S-04.

On the note above, I think Founders CBS and KBS are simply the FBS plus maple syrup and bourbon respectively. I may well be wrong though. Havent attempted them yet and doesn't look like I have time to make them this winter. Brewing them next year for sure though.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #24
raptorvan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
On the note above, I think Founders CBS and KBS are simply the FBS plus maple syrup and bourbon respectively. I may well be wrong though. Havent attempted them yet and doesn't look like I have time to make them this winter. Brewing them next year for sure though.
they have a bunch in stock all the time...

and as far as the KBS and CBS...i think you are right though i think the KBS has more or a coffee blast?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

About the Pacman, think I should give them a shot? I tried the site and it said out of stock in any case I know they bring it fresh every time (thats what it says anyway).

As for the CBS and KBS cant say fro sure since I have only had the FBS only and I can say with a great degree of certainty it is the Best Stout I have ever sampled.

BTW: if you know of any Stouts that remotely rival the FBS (apart from the CBS and KBS) please do say. I would be very grateful. I am cloning the FBS in about 7-10 days, as soon as my monster of a S-04 cake is ready.

Meanwhile, I am planning to collect as much info as I can on potential Stouts for next winter, should have started earlier this year...

Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #26
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shakespearing...

Ok so back to the Shakespeare Clone.

Mashed at 152 as I said before, used S-04 and the fermentor is still going steadily at 64F. I think I will only give this one a 7 day primary and rack to keep the cake as lively as I can. I am brewing this to get a good size cake for my Founders BS clone I am making next.

Anyone have any good Rogue Clone recipes? It might be too late in the season to make any more stouts but I'd still like to prepare for next season.

Brewing: Founders Breakfast Stout Clone
Primary: Shakespeare Stout Clone
Secondary: Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled: S.N. Celebration Ale Clone

Happy brewing.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
aldousbee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

How many days (ballpark figure) does this need to be fermented (using pacman yeast)?

@Castleblack, try the Rogue Amber Ale clone recipe here. I made mine, and it's good.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #28
digitalhifi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As far as the KBS clone...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kbs-...ymurgy-185487/ BAM

Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #29
raptorvan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. Well we do have it in store so if you want it or in the future, let me know and I will ship you some. Or try calling the store. I don't know why it says out of stock unless we are trying to keep them on hand for in store kits.

As far as the FBS I cant really say that there is a decent competitor but I haven't tried them all lol. If you are familliar with southern tier you could check out their crem brule or chokolat stouts.

I'm working out a few stout recipes right now oj fact I will likely brew them this weekend.
Two years ago I made a milk stout made from melted snow. I still have people asking me about it. I made a coconut porter last summer.that was fantastic. The only.thing I would change about it is to add maybe a.dram of hazlenut or some.cocoa nibs or pale chocolate.malt.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #30
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good guys, thanks for all the help.

I ll be making the breakfast stout on the 9th.

Might rack off a gallon, add some bourbon and oak chips and make it into a KBS or even CBS*.

*CBS has near perfect reviews anyone had it?

As for the Shakespeare racking it either tomorrow or day after, cant wait. (might make that one into a Choc Stout Clone, we ll see, i ll let you guys know if i do a side by side of same vintage Shakespeare and Choc Stout.

Happy brewing everybody!