Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Great Western Superior Pilsner Malt

Old 05-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Pleepleus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Great Western Superior Pilsner Malt

So I just left the brewshop with a bag of Great Western Superior Pilsner Malt. Now I am having second thoughts.... Is this the type of pilsner malt I want? I am just now getting into lagers as I have temp control. I also do a fair amount of Belgians, which generally ask for "Continental Pilsner" in the recipe. Is this a comparable product??

Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is a similar product. However the soil conditions the grain grows in does have an effect on the taste. The earthiness of Maris Otter is a prime example. Using a GW pilsner in a recipe calling for a continental pilsner may result in a slight taste difference. I however wouldn't worry to much about it; just brew a batch and see if you are happy with the taste.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Pleepleus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the reassurance, as that is basically what I was looking for! I think I may try another bag of Weyerman's Pils and try a couple of recipes split between each malt to taste the difference.