5 gravity points anything to worry about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
I just racked my DFH 90 minute to secondary. The recipe calls for OG-88 and FG-25. I got OG-84 and FG-30. So I was about 4 points below and ended up 5 points high. I'm not really worrying, but I wanted to see if I should expect any perceptible difference had I hit my marks.

It tasted pretty good going into secondary. It smelled like a barleywine but tasted like a malty english ale (I used 1099...). I hope the dry hopping really brings out the hops b/c while there was bitterness and some hop flavor, there wasn't much hops on the nose.

I was told that the OG and FG are just guidelines, and that all it means is:

OG = potential fermantable stuffs in the beer
FG = the leftover stuffs that weren't ferented
The difference between the two = a general idea of alcohol content

I would have to agree with bosox. OG and FG are just guidelines, however, if you are trying to clone a beer exactly and thats the recipe you want to follow as close as possibly. But who is to say thats they was it should be brewed, maybe a little higher FG will give it a better taste.

Thats the beauty of homebrewing, you can tailor your favorite beers to taste exactly how you like them! Dont worry about this one, keg/bottle her up and enjoy!

I think you only got 65% attenuation if I'm doing this right ((84-30)/84) - and the yeast is rated at 68%-72%.

Probably not a big deal, but I'm curious if it means anything. For the first time, my last brew missed the attenuation range, so I'm reading threads trying to figure out what it means...

The 4 points under on the OG was likely due to my efficiency during the partial mash. The only reason I think I may not have hit full attenuation may be due to the smack pack not being fully bloated before pitching. Not much I could do there though. It SHOULD have gone fully, but I might get a few more points after the secondary transfer. Either way I'm looking forward to tasting this one.

Latest posts

Back