Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessup

Reaction score
I have a growth on an all brett C beer, but don't know what the heck it is. I've searched through photos and haven't found what I'm looking for. Nor have I found a thread where there's a compilation of brett pellicles. This is an opportunity for any brewer to find what is growing in their beer and if it's what's "traditionally" the pellicle formation for brett X.

It would be extremely helpful if people would share their pellicle photos. I think it can be a learning experience just seeing the different types there are since I am guessing they sure as hell aren't all the same. There's pedio, lacto and there are various types of brett strains. Hopefully we can get pictures and examples of each. Are pelllicles like fingerprints? Are they always different? I'm almost willing to bet the answer is yes. Hopefully this thread will help us take a step in deciphering just that.

here's a photo from google images of LACTO:
pellicle.jpg

and here's my brett L and brett B mix pellicle at 10 months:
24374_562524998690_45900919_32713792_4052336_n.jpg

There are a lot of experienced people on these boards and I would really appreciate if we could get a collection of pellicle photos up for comparison. Let's call it research:) I'll have a photo of my mystery pellicle up tomorrow to see if anyone knows what the heck it is and if truly is from brett.

I agree with you, yellow. I bet underneath that nasty goodness there is a fine brew developing.

Flander's Red in secondary pitched with Rodenbach dregs after US-05 initial fermentation. Apparently Rodenbach is pasteurized or centrifuged or something so who the heck knows whats growing in there, starting to taste very good though(6 months):

IMG_0121.jpg

Cream Ale/Ithaca Brute clone attempt in secondary fermented with Brett L.(1 month) :

IMG_0123.jpg

Looks like a corny keg with cherries.
bing bing bing!

here's my most recent, pic taken 48 hrs after pitching brett C 1L starter and expired wyeast lambic blend smack pack. there were also 18 skinned unsanitized kiwis so i don't know if this is brett related or not
26515_563869863570_45900919_32755519_2982644_n.jpg

kiwi beer after 96 hours krausened
26515_563869873550_45900919_32755520_1424170_n.jpg

2.5 month old cranberry brett w/ brett L & B, not a pellicle but sour as hell.
26515_563869853590_45900919_32755518_6460552_n.jpg

brett L&B flemish red recipe after ~ 7 months
26515_563869838620_45900919_32755517_6539880_n.jpg

thanks for posting your shots!

nice mountainside, thanks for participating!! did you add lacto to that or is that from the grain? from the pic i don't think i've ever seen lacto like that:confused: but like i state in the OP, i don't know if there's any "standard" in regards to growth(s). that's what i'd like to know...

here one from a ways back that i wanted to throw in here. it's contributed by a user named landhoney. thread is from 2007 so this should be tasty if not all gone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-44148/ Flanders Red w/ Roselare
3259d1194482306-he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-dsc_00050001_1.jpg

3258d1194482290-he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-dsc_00040001.jpg

So.... I have a lacto "infection" (making cheese and beer in the same fridge... hmm...).
How do you contain lacto if you don't want all of your beer to lambic.. And how do I know when/if I have Brett? Is it naturally occuring? Does it eat other yeasties?
I guess a bigger question is when do you have something that can make you sick? How can you tell if you're wild yeasting (other than trying the stuff?) Are there certain things that are just wrong wrong?

nice mountainside, thanks for participating!! did you add lacto to that or is that from the grain? from the pic i don't think i've ever seen lacto like that:confused: but like i state in the OP, i don't know if there's any "standard" in regards to growth(s). that's what i'd like to know...

That's from grain, I pitched a half pound of uncrushed two row into 6 gallons of wort. Started at 120F and dropped to 105 in 48hour sourmash. I would assume it's lacto but it could be a number of things. All I know is the wort tastes like sweet tarts. :)

Awesome!! I've been kinda nervous about my recent brew, but the pics really helped me relax. I can't wait to give it a taste now... Doh.... Won't be ready until at least sept...

@oaky.. Very few things that are going to grow in fermenting wort will make you seriously ill. But a good bunch will make something that tastes like $#!t.

So.... I have a lacto "infection" (making cheese and beer in the same fridge... hmm...).
How do you contain lacto if you don't want all of your beer to lambic.. And how do I know when/if I have Brett? Is it naturally occuring? Does it eat other yeasties?
I guess a bigger question is when do you have something that can make you sick? How can you tell if you're wild yeasting (other than trying the stuff?) Are there certain things that are just wrong wrong?
That's a lot of questions that can all be answered in this Lambic and Wild Brewing section. I would start searching and finding anwers on your own since if I tell you, you won't really learn anything at all. There's a LOT to know and I recommend searching this forum as well as reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. A good place to start is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/lambic-sour-reference-resources-172027/

and JacobS, I'm extremely happy that this thread was able to help! cheers!!

I totally respect you sour beer lovers and your ummm.......infections

....but I just threw up a little bit in my mouth after looking at those pics.

inf2.jpg

no clue in hell what got into this beer: it was an old ale that was hitting 10% on the hydrometer, and after a month of massive fermentation, the airlock settled for a bit, then started up again. confused as to what happened, i opened up the fermenter and found this.

JUST happened to another batch of freakin beer I made recently. I like sours and all but damn, it gets annoying.

I'm not a Lambic, sour or wild brewer, but I do like these pictures. Very cool.

So relieved! I'd never seen a real fat pellicle before and assumed it was horribly infected with something that you can't drink *especially because I ACTUALLY sanitized the shat out of my fermenter before hand, and had never done a wild beer in it...*, but it looks just like that one, and its smelling GOOOOOD. I want to drown in it! MMMMM! its like 10%, too!

I have my first pellicle in a belgian dubbel I have sitting on some Brett L. It's NOTHING like what you guys have, but it's pretty disgusting none-the-less. I am trying to do an Orval and they say theirs sits on the Brett L for 4 weeks (according to someone on HBT).

The question I have is once you rack and bottle your stuff how do you "wash" the yeast? For ten bucks a lambic nasty I'd love to just keep these around.

heres a new one for the collection. this is the cranberry 100% brett beer that's got brett L in it and is about 3.5 months old. yesterday i decided to do a little blending for fun to mess around. 2 gal cranbrett to 1 gal oaked oud bruin that's >1yr old. carbed @ 3 vol CO2 (hopefully). oud bruin was 1.004 and cranbrett 1.012. i'll let you know it is in a few months:
30706_566821054360_45900919_32849255_3284011_n.jpg

My second attempt at a berliner weisse, 4.5 gallons pitched with pure lacto culture 100 hours ago, just pitched us-05 into it when I took the pics:

lacto1.jpg

lacto.jpg

and a .75 gallon batch of the same wort, pitched with a couple hand-fulls of uncrushed grain (100 hrs also):

grainlacto.jpg

grainlacto2.jpg

JoMarky your Berliner Weisse pictures give me hope that my attempt may not be ruined. I got that same frothy white krausen with greenish brown scum and it smelled strongly of hot rotting dumpster filled with vomit. :eek: The smell has got away but it still has the scummy looking krausen. Have to get my camera out and take some pictures.

Terje

I have a few nice ones
Flanders Red 2 months old
Flanders%20Red%202%20month.PNG

Then added Oak Dowel and 2 weeks later
Oak%20Dowel%20is%20Sick.PNG

Petrus dregs add to 1.045 wort and 4 days laters
IMG_1560.JPG

Enjoy, many more to come

That was my first time using an Oak dowel so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have no clue why it looks like that. I decided to clean it because it doesn't look right (but do wild beers ever look right). I'm going to be very sad if this ruins the beer but I'm just going to wait and find out.

Draining/straining remainder from peaches, this has grown to appx. 25 gallons from additions of various brown batches: (5-14-2010)
4606006979_f34be23ab3_b.jpg

It's growing a spine! Watch out for that one, who knows what is growing in that.

pure brett lambicus 1 week old
brett_7_6_1.JPG

thanks for listing the type of yeast and the age of the brew. that IMO is the most important part of this thread and a major reason i wanted to make this thread!! i think it's safe to say no two pellicles will ever be the same.

thanks to all for participation!!!:cool: keep 'em coming...

Latest posts

Back