Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My 20lb CO2 tank has expired... now what ?

Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #21
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Great info, guys. I learn more here asking a few questions than I get from phoning around for an hour. Great tip on the bars not paying for their CO2. I never knew that. I need a fitting to hook one tank to another at high pressure ! NO HOSES ! Anyone have a wrecked regulator or know where I could get the fitting that goes into the valve ?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #22
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Over here bars don't pay for CO2 the Brewery give it them free. So the cellar man should swap the odd one for a few home brews.
Damn Tied Houses.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #23
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Even the free houses take some of the big brewery stuff. No accounting for some peoples tastes.

My local has 6 hand pumps and the beer rotates every day so it draws a regular crowd who like "Real ale" but they still have 3 lager taps, 2 Bitter taps. For the people who prefer it.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #24
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Even the free houses take some of the big brewery stuff. No accounting for some peoples tastes.

My local has 6 hand pumps and the beer rotates every day so it draws a regular crowd who like "Real ale" but they still have 3 lager taps, 2 Bitter taps. For the people who prefer it.
Can you explain what you mean by hand pumps, lager taps, and bitter taps and what distinguishes the beers dispensed from them? From the way you wrote it, I take it that "Real ale" is dispensed from hand pumps, and that the lagers and bitters are in a different category of brew?

I like Fuller's ESB and 1845. The 1845 says it is bottle-conditioned real ale on the label. Is it available kegged and served with a hand pump in England? How about the Fuller's ESB? The label doesn't mention bottle conditioning or real ale. Is that an example of what you'd find on the bitters tap at your local pub?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #25
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's a bit controversial on here I think and Some people would call me a beer snob.
It's been mentioned in other threads but here's my thoughts.
A beer served from a hand pull has no C02 added either for carbonation or serving. It is naturally carbonated "real ale" It needs care to look after, has been brewed in traditional methods. Needs to be consumed in a short period of time.
This for me is real cask ale. A cask can be plastic, metal and very rarely wood.
Beer served from taps uses CO2 to force the beer through the tap, it is usually force CO2 carbonated. It can be anything. I guess there are good beers from these and I would drink them on recommendation.
I'm not saying all cask beer served from pumps is better than beer from taps but if the Pump is available then that's what I'll drink.......
You can get crap fillet steak and good burgers, but if you go for the fillet steak your more likely to no get crap.
I've never experienced a bar that serves 100's of styles of beer and they must be better than the ones that only offer a few but I would question whether they have the same quality has the place with 6 hand pumps where the cask has gone within a day or so so there is always fresh stuff on.

As for the Fullers then that would be seen as the Top end of bitters from a Pull. I loove the fullers range and drink it at the bar and from the bottle.
Bitters that you get on Tap would Be Like Tetley's, Boddingtons, all sorts.
They are like the Bud of the pilsner world.
Mass produced, thin pasteurised dead beer that Is then regassed at the place of dispensing. Lots of people like them and drink them. They are not bad just not the "real thing"

Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #26
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the explanation, orfy. I certainly hope I get a chance to visit England one of these days to sample a portion of the range of good ales you have in your pubs over there.