WTF happened?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tundrabrewing

Reaction score
So this is my grain bill for my partial mash recipie.

34% 3 lb 3 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract
32% 3 lb 0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
21% 2 lb 0 oz Munich Malt - 10L
11% 1 lb 0 oz Belgian Candy Sugar Amber
3% 0 lb 4 oz Acidulated Malt

I just brewed this, according to Hopeville's Beer Calculus my estimated gravity should have been 1.064 When I got done and measured using my theif it was 1.081.

Did I extract too much? Is there to m non fermenting sugars in there now? Its supposed to be a saison.

Any suggestions? It looked like there was sum cloudy material in the theif when I measured. Should I let it settle out and measure again?

You can increase the volume by adding boiling water to the boil.. It would bring down the gravity. You'd want to do the math to know how much to add. It could change your hop utilization as well, if the volume is different the what the recipe calls for.

Also, did you adjust for the temp of the sample with the hydro reading?

You can't extract more than has been extracted from the extract, so that portion is pretty much a constant.
Assuming you made a 5 gallon batch and assuming you did a partial boil which you topped off with water before or after you added it to the primary, you likely have an inaccurate reading due to incomplete incorporation of the top off water.
You don't really have enough grain to cause such a big difference in OG.

Also, did you adjust for the temp of the sample with the hydro reading?

ok. when I took it the first time it was at about 70 degrees. I watched an episode of dexter, and took another reading, this time 63 degrees, and it was about at 1.066.

I then stired it up vigirously and took two more readings. 1.058 and 1.060.

How would those be factored for temp? I guess I have not read about that yet.

If you have John Palmer's book, "How to Brew" you can find it in there on page 264.

If you don't have the book it can be found HERE. Using your reading of 1.066 at 63F you would add an additional 0.003 making your adjusted gravity 1.069.

If you have John Palmer's book, "How to Brew" you can find it in there on page 264.

If you don't have the book it can be found HERE. Using your reading of 1.066 at 63F you would add an additional 0.003 making your adjusted gravity 1.069.

That's not correct! It's a very, very small difference. My hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees. At 63 degrees, it's almost the same. At 70 degrees, a reading of 1.060 would equal 1.061.

Once your get your sample to about 70 degrees, the reading you get would be very close to the reading at calibration temperatures, so don't worry to much about it. It's a difference of .001 or less.

What Yooper said plus the fact that you stirred it and took the last readings more carefully.

Back