Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > chicago water

Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
eanmcnulty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in Addison, IL, and my water report says chlorine on it. I usually leave my water out over night, and the smell is gone. Other than that, I have never messed with my water. I would like to have a better understanding of brewing water.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
niceindividual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey buds,

I joined this forum to share these comprehensive water chemical analysis reports I found on Chicago's (disaster of a) website. I was looking for chlorine vs. chloramine for a different reason: apparently chloramine and activated carbon (as used in water filters) can create a carcinogen in aerobic environments.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...lanalysis.html

Here's the journal article about the carcinogens. Note that the reaction stated requires oxygen; it's not clear to me that a water filter environment has enough oxygen to sustain this kind of reaction, though I suppose it's possible there's enough dissolved O2 in water.

Cheers,
Matt