Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Water borne Infectious Diseases research paper

Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Water borne Infectious Diseases research paper

Right now I am taking a class that is about global health hazards. I am thinking about doing a paper and relating it to beer. Since boiling get rid of water bourne infectious diseases, and the pilgrims drinking beer for a source of water. Anyone have any ideas for material I can use for research?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
BioBeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Pubmed?

Beer is generally considered safe (in terms of microbes at least) but this is not simply due to the boiling. The pH, anti-bacterial properties of the hops, and ethanol concentration all contribute.

However, do you really want, in a class on Global Health Hazards to be promoting an alcoholic beverage as a cure for water borne diseases? The other health hazards that accompany beer probably do not make it the best solution for say giving to infants in third world countries.